Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Troels' new "sine cap" three-way
Troels' new "sine cap" three-way
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2018, 11:18 AM   #1
Alex M is offline Alex M  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Troels' new "sine cap" three-way

Here is a very interesting new design from Troels Gravesen: the Ellipticor 3. This combines the Scan Speak Ellipticor drivers with a low-order crossover that omits capacitors entirely (echoes of the the Sonus Faber Extrema from way back). He seems very pleased with it.

With its impedance dropping to 3 ohms, it certainly wouldn't suit my 300B amplification, even with a Hypex plate amp behind the subwoofer driver, but it might still have tempted me if I weren't collecting parts for another project.

Click the image to open in full size.

Alex
Old 7th December 2018, 12:05 PM   #2
academia50 is offline academia50  Argentina
diyAudio Member

The designs of Troels are all very beautiful. And there are "for all tastes".
I built the DTQWTII and they are the definitive, magnificent speakers.
If you have interest in something similar for the 300 B, you have the DTQWT III, it adapts to low power valves as well as to transistorized ones since they are both high sensitivity models. And there are no pass capacitors for the middle range, which is the most important thing.
The tendency to add these current plate amplifiers (as in subwofers) to satellite cabinets is something I do not share, however.
I mean to host them in the same cabinet, I have a Dayton but no DSP and I use it externally, and I'm building a couple of big subwofers. Soon I will see the result, I do not think I need DSP, but in that case I'll go for a Beringher Inuke 1000 DSP.

What I did not know was that the elliptical technology had extended to the outer shape of the speakers, even the tuning tubes.
It would be good if someone from the experts here could explain this new technological development !!!
Old 7th December 2018, 12:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by academia50 View Post
If you have interest in something similar for the 300 B, you have the DTQWT III, it adapts to low power valves as well as to transistorized ones since they are both high sensitivity models.
Actually I am using his SEAS 3WC Mk2 at the moment, which work well (both in terms of efficiency and impedance) with my amps. Troels originally suggested the DTQWT for this very reason, but I didn't think they would be a good aesthetic match for our living room.

My next design will be a floor stander with a closed box bass alignment.

Alex
Old 7th December 2018, 01:23 PM   #4
celef is offline celef
diyAudio Member

All troels designs seems to be very well made and well documented, and he is amazingly productive! But still i have my doubts in some areas, like in crossover parts and limited off axis optimization
Old 7th December 2018, 02:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celef View Post
But still i have my doubts in some areas, like in crossover parts and limited off axis optimization
He does put some thought into lateral dispersion, but in this case I don't understand why the lateral response plot of the new Ellipticor is so much worse than that of the MUN17 (for example):

Ell-3: Click the image to open in full size.
Mun-17: Click the image to open in full size.

Perhaps it's something intrinsic to the Ellipticor tweeter?

Alex
Old 7th December 2018, 03:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes, Troels is a great designer, personally I really liked reading all his section dedicated to cabinets / speakers of high sensitivity and its advantages.

High Efficiency Speakers

I followed that path, along with the return to the valves. I just need to complete a little extra in the spectrum in the first two octaves and it will be the end of my journey in search of musical nirvana.

Allow me an OT:

Did you notice that there is always talk of the 1814 Overture to impress your guests?
There are other alternatives that are not as well known, at least this one was not for me, I discovered it recently.
Connect your streaming service and try this track, essential with good SPL, say close to 100 db, I think that would be like standing on the same site of Emmanuelle Haim, the director.
Ask your guests if they have heart problems before. I say it very seriously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hippolite et Aricie- Haim-Rameau.jpg (118.8 KB, 525 views)
Old 7th December 2018, 03:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Connect your streaming service and try this track, essential with good SPL, say close to 100 db, I think that would be like standing on the same site of Emmanuelle Haim, the director.
Ask your guests if they have heart problems before. I say it very seriously.
Fun! Here it is on YouTube, for those who don't stream.

I couldn't help being reminded of the "Garage door" track from the HiFi News Test CD...

Alex
Old 7th December 2018, 03:40 PM   #8
stretchneck is offline stretchneck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Love this new design - I don't think I can fault the principles employed. Also makes me think that a cheaper version based on Satori woofers would work well...
Old 7th December 2018, 04:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex M View Post
Fun! Here it is on YouTube, for those who don't stream.

Alex

I did not want to attach the link to YT because they compress the recordings, it would not be as impressive their audition as directly from the CD (if they buy it is a charity of a research foundation on cancer) or the streaming service.
Possibly for this last the link you attach does not work ...
Old 7th December 2018, 04:31 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:

What I did not know was that the elliptical technology had extended to the outer shape of the speakers, even the tuning tubes.
It would be good if someone from the experts here could explain this new technological development !!!

Beyond my joke about the distorted photo, (corrected by clicking) I read the Troels article when they presented these elliptical voice coil designs. But I do not really remember what the advantages are. A better dispersion in the vertical or horizontal axis (this depends on how we place it in the baffle) sounds too elementary. Will not SS be spinning too thin? Is this a commercial argument and not a true technological achievement? Is the investment in machinery radically different from the conventional ones for circular voice coils justified?

Troels' new "sine cap" three-wayHide this!Advertise here!