Designing a trapez speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Designing a fullrange speaker and I've got some questions.

Old plan

I just designed and build a setup consisting of 2x 12" Beta-12cx with ASD:1001 horn driver in closed cabs. and a Tham12 for sub.

I didn't really like the sub. I think I chose a bad driver, and it really doesn't go that low, so new plans... :D

The setup will be battery-powered. The amp is 2x500w at 4ohm.

videos in action:
When stacked
When playing

New plan

Plan is to build 2x 2x12" speakers, where one of the 12" will be the Beta-12cx and the other will be beta-12a. These are very similar, so I plan to use them in a ported cab, so they're full range.

The amp, battery and DSP will be installed in one of the cabs. I can leave home one of the cabs and still bring the "mother-cab" if I just need a bit of volume :)

Setup will look like this:

McQhb9F.jpg

Questions:

- How much volume for two beta 12" drivers do you reckon I need, if it will be used full range? The setup will use Psycho-acoustics to enhance bass-experience. The speaker will mostly be used indoors.

- Is it a bad idea to use same chamber for the two beta-drivers? Their specs are close to identical.

- Current plan is to use Eminence PXB2:2K5CX filter for the Coaxial driver (Beta 12-cx and ASD:1001 and then lower resistance for the tweeter, to level out the extra sound from the extra Beta 12". Can I use the same crossover for both 12"? Or does lower impedance change the crossing point?

- Expanding question above. My amp is 2x500w. Perhaps I could use one channel for the Beta-cx12 + ASD1001 and then another channel for the extra Beta-12a driver. This way I can setup an active crossover for the Beta-12a, and just run double wires through the Speakon cable.

ONE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION!
- Do you think I should rethink this whole setup?

Thanks <3

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.