Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Need some advice on best use of what I have.
Need some advice on best use of what I have.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2018, 04:08 PM   #1
bugeyed is offline bugeyed  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need some advice on best use of what I have.

I have several ScanSpeak 18W/8531G00 drivers. They are bass drivers that came out of Sonus Faber Cremona speakers that had suffered an encounter with a cat. Minor surround damage that I am repairing with adhesive. I have been wanting to build a high quality 2 way speaker & wonder if I can use these for the mid/bass drivers. I have a nice subwoofer, so the extreme low end is not a concern, it's the question of how well these will work for the mid range. I have some tweeters (ScanSpeak Discovery R2604_8320), but may consider purchasing others if they need to extend a little lower to crossover better with the mid/bass driver. I have 4 of the "mid/woofers", so using 2 in a 3 way configuration is a consideration.
Links to these drivers. ScanSpeak Discovery R2604/8320 1" Tweeter Ring Radiator
ScanSpeak Revelator 18W/8531G-00 7" Mid Woofer 8 ohm

Thanks,
Kev
Old 8th December 2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Lojzek is online now Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi Kev,

best use is something you can probably answer yourself. If you care for a full range sounding speakers, these units in a 2.5 way should output reasonably deep bass tones in a larger enclosure, aprox.100 litres, or if you rather prefer a bookshelf type speaker, a single midwoofer in a sealed enclosure supported by a sub is also a decent solution, plus you have another pair of units to spare. As usual the crossover filter is yet to be designed and with a ring radiator a 2.5 kHz xo point should suffice. There is other projects like that floating around so you can get a feel for ballpark values of filter parts and sensitivity, cut-off frequency etc... I'd start with manufacturer datasheet simulation and once I have it solved, do again the same only with my own measurements before buying parts. There has been much said on how to simulate and with what software.

Last edited by Lojzek; 8th December 2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 8th December 2018, 12:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your response Lojzek,
My main concern with these mid/bass drivers is how well they perform in the midrange. In the Sonus Faber Cremona speakers they came out of, they are used in a 3 way configuration (TMWW) with a very nice midrange driver. Don't know where they are crossed over though. If these drivers would work well in a 2 way design, that would be my first choice. Trying to keep costs down.
Regards,
kev
Old 8th December 2018, 12:43 PM   #4
mtthsmyr is offline mtthsmyr
diyAudio Member

Hi Kev,

2-way and 2,5-way design by Zaph using the 18W/8531g00

Zaph|Audio - ZRT - Revelator Tower
It might be possible to figure out a cheap replacement with the D2604 instead of the D3004-6600. The R2604 shouldn't be crossed that low.

You could actually use the R2604 if you invest in a pair of Scanspeak 12m/4631g00:

Ekta-Grande

-Matt
Old 8th December 2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Lojzek is online now Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
Thanks for your response Lojzek,
My main concern with these mid/bass drivers is how well they perform in the midrange. ...cut... If these drivers would work well in a 2 way design, that would be my first choice. Trying to keep costs down.
Regards,
kev
Your welcome! I think that you will do just fine with these woofers and your tweeter crossed in the 2.5 kHz range. Made a quick sim of woofers and their LP filter, pretty simple one confirming my opinion. If you'd like to be extra sure, fabricate a smaller bookshelf test enclosure, for instance 9 by 15" baffle measures, made of 0.5" thick chipboard. I would high pass the tweeter steeply.
Attached Images
File Type: png single 8531 filtered.png (26.5 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Lojzek; 8th December 2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 8th December 2018, 08:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtthsmyr View Post
Hi Kev,

You could actually use the R2604 if you invest in a pair of Scanspeak 12m/4631g00:

-Matt
Thanks for the info. Actually I have one 12m 4631g00 (Sonus Faber) ver. that came out of the Cremona & I repaired the voicecoil. I had considered getting a second one for a 2 way with the R2604 tweeters, but then wondered if the 18W/8531g00 wouldn't serve better in a 2 way + sub setup. Thinking the 4631 wouldn't go low enough for a 2 way.
Kev

Need some advice on best use of what I have.Hide this!Advertise here!