Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Placing autotransformer in crossover
Placing autotransformer in crossover
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2018, 10:50 PM   #21
EarlK is offline EarlK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Here's a good example of how JBL used to use autoformers ( back in the day ).

Placing autotransformer in crossover-autoformer_example_in-network_-png

The point is that an autoformer is also an inductor and some of the more clever designers will just build it into the overall network ( when they can ).

Notice the switched conjugate resistors ( source side of the autoformer ) working to present a consistent impedance to the preceeding capacitor.

I'm a bit surprised the OP didn't see the "reflected" impedance issue crop-up since those pics seem to be snaps of XSim ( which has an excellent impedance window ).

Attached Images
File Type: png Autoformer_Example_in Network_.png (93.9 KB, 59 views)
Old 7th December 2018, 11:47 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
FWIW here's an ancient Altec two way autoformer schematic: http://digilander.libero.it/stevevis...N800schema.jpg

GM
GM

Placing autotransformer in crossover-n800d_schema-jpg

Must be a case of dimming eyes, but that's no autoformer, instead that's Altec's ( clever ) kludge-up in how-to-make a multiple-fixed attenuation LPad ( using resistors ).

Multiple taps on a single Ohmite variable 25W?? wirewound resistor are implemented.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here's a thread ( over at AK ) that details the N800E ( using resistors )..

Worth noting is that the posted schematic is incomplete ( in the posted schematic the HF section wasn't referenced to ground ).

Still, it's good info if one uses it carefully.

The exposed N800E will look something like this;

Click the image to open in full size.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg N800D_schema.jpg (60.5 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by EarlK; 8th December 2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 8th December 2018, 12:35 AM   #23
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

The original 800D [among others] had an auto-former and that's the correct diagram AFAIK, but I can't find any pre LTV docs on-line, so not surprised that this apparently was yet another example of their extreme cost cutting demands that ultimately destroyed them.

GM
Old 8th December 2018, 01:10 AM   #24
Xoc1 is offline Xoc1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of Tannoy Monitor Golds with autotransformers in the crossovers.
The Tannoys have 5 taps
The Tannoys have a single 50 ohm resistor connected to the autotransformer which is switched in the opposing direction to the tweeter.
When the HF is in the highest position the 50 R is disconnected.
I understand what the following parts of the HF circuit do but I am unclear on how the 50R effects the circuit
Copy of schematic attached, the only difference from what I have is the LF inductor is nearer to 3mH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monitor15.jpg (55.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 8th December 2018, 01:35 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoc1 View Post
I have a pair of Tannoy Monitor Golds with autotransformers in the crossovers.
The Tannoys have 5 taps
The Tannoys have a single 50 ohm resistor connected to the autotransformer which is switched in the opposing direction to the tweeter.
When the HF is in the highest position the 50 R is disconnected.
I understand what the following parts of the HF circuit do but I am unclear on how the 50R effects the circuit
Copy of schematic attached, the only difference from what I have is the LF inductor is nearer to 3mH.
When switched in, the 50 ohm resistor lowers the circuit resistance as seen by the 6.8uF cap.

It doesn't matter if it's placed in front or behind the autoformer > the 50R resistor still lowers the circuit impedance.

Placing autotransformer in crossoverHide this!Advertise here!