The Preference for Direct Radiators

15-20dB above 400Hz from memory. I've slept since.

I wasn't trying to make you believe anything, but you are welcome to believe what you want.
your first 4 octave definitely have serious early reflections. you go from "There are no meaningful floor, front or sidewall reflections to speak of in the first 30mS." to no early reflections over 400hz.

without treatment, I seriously doubt that you have -20db within 20 ms from the ceiling and floor early reflections, nor back and side walls even over 400 hz.

even with controlled directivity speakers, even cardioid, you will have serious early reflection that needs to be treated under the modal region and over the modal region

your first 4 octave definitely have serious early reflections. you go from "There are no meaningful floor, front or sidewall reflections to speak of in the first 30mS." to no early reflections over 400hz.

without treatment, I seriously doubt that you have -20db within 20 ms from the ceiling and floor early reflections, nor back and side walls even over 400 hz.

even with controlled directivity speakers, even cardioid, you will have serious early reflection that needs to be treated under the modal region and over the modal region

I'm very interested to know what you can tell us about the importance of early reflections below 400Hz on the perception of a stereo sound field.

You can enjoy your serious doubts, I'll enjoy the music.

I'm very interested to know what you can tell us about the importance of early reflections below 400Hz on the perception of a stereo sound field.

You can enjoy your serious doubts, I'll enjoy the music.
early reflections in the modal range is more complicated, early reflections are replaced by the entire room that " resonate " (gross oversimplification) hence why people use very deep thick bass traps.

poor decay/reflections under 350hz doesnt really affect stereo sound field, it will definitely affect how the bass/kick sound

~10M. The wall behind me is 5M away.
wow, thats a big room. if your back wall is 5 m away from your listening position, no treatment is needed because the wall is so far as the reflections will be not even considered early anymore.

but your floor/ceiling for sure will give you early reflection, probably your side walls unless you have a very big room

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cowanaudio:
~10M. The wall behind me is 5M away.

wow, thats a big room. if your back wall is 5 m away from your listening position, no treatment is needed because the wall is so far as the reflections will be not even considered early anymore.

but your floor/ceiling for sure will give you early reflection, probably your side walls unless you have a very big room
Youknowyou,

In a 10 meter room with speakers at one end, listening position at 5M, the back wall reflection would be (at minimum) 12 dB down due to the inverse distance law.
A large, high Q (narrow dispersion) horn system can reduce early floor/ceiling reflections above 350 Hz by a similar amount (from 6-12 dB) compared to a wide dispersion direct radiator system.

The high Q system therefore may also not need floor/ceiling or side wall treatment.

At any rate, a high Q system can go a long way in eliminating much of the room sound without room treatment.

That said, if one has a preference for room ambience compared to a treated room, one will also probably have a "Preference for Direct Radiators" over a higher Q system with the same frequency response.

Art

Last edited:
Youknowyou,

In a 10 meter room with speakers at one end, listening position at 5M, the back wall reflection would be (at minimum) 12 dB down due to the inverse distance law.
A large, high Q (narrow dispersion) horn system can reduce early floor/ceiling reflections above 350 Hz by a similar amount (from 6-12 dB) compared to a wide dispersion direct radiator system.

The high Q system therefore may also not need floor/ceiling or side wall treatment.

At any rate, a high Q system can go a long way in eliminating much of the room sound without room treatment.

That said, if one has a preference for room ambience compared to a treated room, one will also probably have a "Preference for Direct Radiators" over a higher Q system with the same frequency response.

Art
yes, im not saying that controlled directivity is useless, its not, but it doesn't remove early reflections and all its related problems. dont know how can this be even debatable, especially when a simple ETC measurements will clearly show that it has room for improvements.

my preference is to treat every early reflection points with thick absorption panels, and use deep bass traps for bass. basically a FRZ design, and not treat at all any secondary reflections (what actually adds spatiousness are secondary reflections).

anyways, I suggest anyone who thinks their speaker magically remove the room colorations to build a couple of 8 inch thick Roxul panels, place them at the early reflection points on the floor and ceiling and experiment.

Last edited:
im a bit surprised by this. Ive looked at his system, I dont see how his system come even close to addressing the early reflections from the ceiling, floor and side walls. His horns remove some of them, but at his listening position, he will clearly still have early reflections. this is not rubbish, its a fact.

are you sure we are understanding what are are arguing about, maybe we dont understand each other?

Last edited:
That was about preference for direct radiation.
Another point may be the proximity of the emission centers.
The system I am building has cost and space constraints.

OK, then the opposite is required, large drivers or arrays or horns to focus driver output and/or lots of room damping on the sound wall and between you and the speakers, i.e. keep first reflections to behind your ears.

GM

Test suggestion:

Make a binaural recording of a life musical event, with microphones inside your ears.
Playing this back on headphones should give an accurate illustration of the event.

Then add reflections to this recording, easy to do with software in all possible variations.

This could give a good idea of what kind of listening environment reflections matter and what not.

Any logic to this?
Has it been done, please let me know.