Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

The Preference for Direct Radiators
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2020, 04:36 AM   #301
ErnieM is online now ErnieM  United States
diyAudio Member

Good post.

One prioritizes on-axis spl gain at all usable frequencies at the expense of power response.

The other prioritizes even defined power response at the expense of on axis-spl gain.

Sounds simple enough.
Old 30th June 2020, 05:06 PM   #302
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Agreed. In fact, 2332 is slightly louder on axis and STX has slightly flatter frequency response.

I just preferred 2332 to STX after EQ compensation contrary to common sense, and I was scratching my head for 2 years. lol. My point is current JBL waveguides (M2 and SPX) would not always be as preferable as their "more" conventional horn design. In Lansing forum, some prefer STX and some prefer 2332, but all agreed that they sound "very" different whatever JBL calls them, and I find it's interesting. This is a preference thread, so I hope my posts are not off topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2332 002.jpg (41.4 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by plasnu; 30th June 2020 at 05:20 PM.
Old 30th June 2020, 05:23 PM   #303
digitalthor is offline digitalthor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I kinda lies in the words..... guiding the waves....
I'm pretty sure that horns are not intended for domestic use - but more for outdoors, where reflective surfaces are not a problem - and you want high efficiency and beamed sound - "shot" at a row of people in larger areas

Smaller waveguides makes much more sense for small rooms, where you want to be sure that reflected sound(unavoidable) is closely relatable to the direct sound.
Old 30th June 2020, 05:29 PM   #304
plasnu is offline plasnu  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalthor View Post
I'm pretty sure that horns are not intended for domestic use - but more for outdoors, where reflective surfaces are not a problem - and you want high efficiency and beamed sound - "shot" at a row of people in larger areas

Smaller waveguides makes much more sense for small rooms, where you want to be sure that reflected sound(unavoidable) is closely relatable to the direct sound.
Theoretically yes, but JBL uses their "Waveguide" more for their SR (outdoor, venue), and "horn" more for high end home audio market.
Old 30th June 2020, 05:33 PM   #305
mark100 is offline mark100  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalthor View Post

Oh no, I'd say horns can work super in domestic use...even in small rooms.

Would also say, a single "horn" can be both a horn as an impedance transformer and also function as a wave guide, at the same time.
Old 30th June 2020, 06:06 PM   #306
digitalthor is offline digitalthor  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark100 View Post
Oh no, I'd say horns can work super in domestic use...even in small rooms.

Would also say, a single "horn" can be both a horn as an impedance transformer and also function as a wave guide, at the same time.
Maybe I have to think it over
"All waveguides are horns, but not all horns are waveguides" (Earl Geddes)
Practical DIY Waveguides - Part 1

The Preference for Direct RadiatorsHide this!Advertise here!