Tannoy R3 - Tweeters Not Working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wondered if you could help please - initially one tweeter went intermittent then not working on my Tannoy R3s (moving tweeter from Right speaker to the Left - which was working - the fault followed) but after moving both back and forth now both don't work.

The connectors the spade end connectors attach to seemed loose - on looking at the connector I realised it could pull out (was on a clip) - so as the tweeter wasn't working anyway took out - and was surprised to see no metal connections anywhere other than on the spade connector - so I don't understand how they connect electrically - are there some tiny wires or something that are missing ? Please see photos attached.

The speakers aren't worth much -but cosmetically are quite nice and match my centre - and money is a bit tight at the moment so was thinking of buying a pair of replacement (non Tannoy as I don't think available anymore) tweeters - was wondering what to look for.

I realise that phase/frequency response and gain etc are all issues when replacing tweeters when using old crossover without modifications but these are only used for home theater use - so I'm guessing Audyssey XT32 (which corrects phase and amplitude) will probably mostly correct even if not ideal as long as I pick an appropriate tweeter ?

I can't find anything out about the tweeters via the part number - Tannoy 809HA I draw a google blank.

much much appreciated for any help.

Mark.

Attachments

• tweeter-1.jpg
    tweeter-1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Tweeter-2.jpg
    Tweeter-2.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 96
Hmm,
The metal connection clip ideally should be retained by the plastic moulding immediately to the right of it in the attached images.
As you point out there are no wires, and there's your problem.
Maybe if you are very careful and can understand how the tweeter disassembles you may be able to find the original wires that go to the speaker coil, if you find them measure with a ohmmeter and verify that they still intact, you should measure somewhere between 3 to 10 ohms, as a first guess. If they have functioning voice coils you may be able to extend the wires back to the terminals. You soldering will have to be good with well prepared wires, as excessive heat from the soldering iron will add to your problems.

Good luck, it may be new tweeter time.

From the images somebody has been pretty rough with them

thank you for the reply - much appreciated

I think I'm the only one to have ever taken the speakers apart (I've had them nearly 15 years) - I pulled the metal connection clip off the plastic moulding as a last resort to see how it was connected electrically - but when I took the tweeter out to start with I was very careful and there were no visible wires anywhere.

Very odd - I 'd have thought if had broken off they'd be hanging/visible somewhere ?

thanks again

The wires would normally be soldered to the circular hole of the metal clip, the wire could be very much less than a mm diameter.
As you say you couldn't see them initially that is most strange, the kids haven't had a party whilst you were away? What does the crossover look like any damaged components there? It might be worth posting a picture of the crossover and the associated wiring. Definitely, very intriguing. A search on eBay my find some tannoy R3 Tweeters or with a bit of searching, plus you measuring faceplate dimensions and cut out holes, somebody should be able to offer a suggestion for a reasonable replacement.
Tannoy themselves may be able to help, worth a call.

Just spotted the original wiring on the bottom of both clips, it looks to be about 1mm, most strange that you cannot see remains, try to gently prise away the foam sealing gasket

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.