Moded 2226H + 2451J on XT1464

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Small update. Stacked wood panels are beeing glued now, hope to get material shipped to the company next week. The price for 4 pcs of horn curves and 8pcs of fins should be half of the current ebay offerings.
In the mean time I am playing with some JBL 2226h drivers. Changing the surround, cone, spider and voice coil to buipd my own super2226.
Testing of TS parameters will follow as soon as I get a measuring mic and test box built.
I dont have high hopes, its just an exercise to lower the Fs and perhaps improve the spectral decay a little (rebounce of driver).

P.S.: sorry for lack of words

Last edited:
It looks like JBL 2235H.

Do you have TS parameters and Frequency response graphs - before and after, so there is something to compare ?

Its not 2235H, just looks like that. TS parameewrs will follow. I have a 2226H with OEM cone, and this one. Have to build a test box and buy some measuring equipment. My goal is to lower Fs to abour 32-35Hz without adding any mass. I am now at 92g and will keep it at that

Your opinions on Dayton Audio DATS V2 measuring software?
Dayton Audio DATS V2 Computer Based Audio Component Test System
Danny

Last edited:
Only the original drawings are copyright. Any redo of the drawings is copyright of the artist (or who he assigns them to).

An interesting interpretation of copyright law, which, having spent the best part of 40 years designing things, goes something along the lines of "If it looks the same, it is the same" unless, of course, you operate in a country where no power of copyright exists. If you take person A's design and redraw it on another sheet of real or virtual paper, you do not then own the copyright of the design. If you scale the drawings it will look the same, so is, in copyright terms, the same design. It is often the case that, in DIY forums/clubs.associations, a designer says that you are free to use the design for personal purposes only, but whether getting a batch of parts made up for friends by a commerciial wood worker constitutes "not for personal use" is moot; personally, I'm not rich enough to test it in court. Patent and Registered Design operate in a different sphere.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
My last sentenece in your quote is a bit awkward.

As i understand it one cannot copyright a design — it may be patentable thou. Drawings are/can be copyrighted.

So building a copy is OK. Selling them things get murky. Reverse engineering is fine.

The purpose of my drawing was to be able to do complete illustrations with some miniOnken enclosures i designed for a client. That job gave me some interest in the horn.

Attachments

• MTM-no-dim.png
    MTM-no-dim.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 395
I used to CAD CNC to build the 290 "Straight Side" model. A nice horn. Square to round throat done by hand. I use 1mm increments to generate the main curve...but a 5-axis/3-D router would be ideal.

Attachments

• rear plates up close.png
    rear plates up close.png
    416.2 KB · Views: 349
  • fins glued in.png
    fins glued in.png
    524.7 KB · Views: 345
  • post-142611-0-17073000-1415444318.jpg
    post-142611-0-17073000-1415444318.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 342
  • post-103876-0-89301900-1409634816.png
    post-103876-0-89301900-1409634816.png
    341 KB · Views: 329
  • rear plates.png
    rear plates.png
    503 KB · Views: 137

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
As i understand it one cannot copyright a design — it may be patentable thou. Drawings are/can be copyrighted.

The laws and rules are not the same all over the world. There actually are copyright-able designs in some parts of the world. And there are industrial design which can be registered too ('Geschmacksmuster' in Germany/Europe), it even covers non-registered designs which are already on the market. It is not likely someone would sue unless you're making exact or very close copies and sell them.

So building a copy is OK. Selling them things get murky. Reverse engineering is fine.

Yes, that would get murky. They will very likely not sue you, even if you sell them (in low numbers) because it's expensive. It's not impossible though.

Attachments

• A37E6D73-9648-4889-937D-33B3FFA2B0A6.jpeg
    A37E6D73-9648-4889-937D-33B3FFA2B0A6.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 90
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.