Experiences of Linkwitz LX mini like builds?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would like to hear comments on the viability of the build idea and if it translates over to other drivers also. I have a pair of Fostex 103-sol:s sitting on the shelf and some 7" Eton syphonies. Could these be used in a similar setup as the LX mini. Found some builds with Google, but nothing really informative. Any comments welcomed.

I have a minidsp 2*4hd for crossover. The original has a xo-point of 700Hz, but as my bass is bigger should i go with 300-500Hz to avoid beaming on the bass driver?

Last edited:
I have a pair of Fostex 103 sitting on the shelf and some 7" Eton syphonies. Could these be used in a similar setup as the LX mini. . Any comments welcomed.

Linkwitz uses the Seas Prestige FU10RB-H1600-04 4" Full Range with Xmax=4mm. 10x longer than the FE103 Xmax=0.35mm. You will need to set a much higher crossover frequency than the LX in this inefficient dipole to produce dynamic transients.

The Fostex FE103 is a modest cost 100mm (4 in) non-coated paper cone full range driver. It uses a stamped steel chassis holding a lightweight short voice coil moving assembly. The moving mass is only 2.7 grams. Frequency response is up to 18kHz, which is high enough for a single driver speaker. Sensitivity is rated at 89dB at 1W/1m. Continuous power rating is only 5 watts. Resonance frequency fs is 80Hz and Xmax is only 0.35mm.

The LX mini is a very thoroughly thought out design, Linkwitz often states changing any parameters pretty much voids any guarantee of performance.

That said, I would like to mess around with something similar myself :)

I've seen a similar design that used a small baffle on the wide range unit, that might help you keep the crossover frequency closer to the original.

The LX mini is a very thoroughly thought out design, Linkwitz often states changing any parameters pretty much voids any guarantee of performance.
Yes, it appears simple but that's a deception. I wonder, when people see it, whether they think it's basically an omnidirectional design, when in fact it's EVERYTHING but, it transitions through monopole, cardioid and dipole, and then even the the dipole rear dispersion is cleverly diffused.

As well as making 3 pairs of "real" LX minis, I've also made several corrupted versions using a variety of drivers. Some of these have been quite different in behaviour to the originals, using smaller drivers etc. but I've found the basic concept to be surprisingly transferable.

Pictured below is one example, using twin TC9FD-18-08s. More information here: My submission to the "Better Homes & Donga's" speaker competition

This pair is currently on my kitchen counter, and I've done more work on the (passive) crossover. They are very acceptable kitchen speakers.

I've also made a set with a cheap 6" al. cone driver, and a TC9FD on top. These used a larger diameter vertical PVC pipe (sealed), and were about half the height of the originals. They sat on my workbench for a while, used as near field computer speakers. They too sounded surprisingly good.

Graham

Attachments

• IMG_9608 (1).jpg
    IMG_9608 (1).jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_9600.jpg
    IMG_9600.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_9596 (1).jpg
    IMG_9596 (1).jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 490
Would like to hear comments on the viability of the build idea and if it translates over to other drivers also. I have a pair of Fostex 103-sol:s sitting on the shelf and some 7" Eton syphonies. Could these be used in a similar setup as the LX mini. Found some builds with Google, but nothing really informative. Any comments welcomed.

I have a minidsp 2*4hd for crossover. The original has a xo-point of 700Hz, but as my bass is bigger should i go with 300-500Hz to avoid beaming on the bass driver?

That sounds like this project I did four years ago:

Ugly LX Mini "Clone"

IMG_20141002_113741.jpg

The bottom half of the speaker had a SB Acoustics 5" woofer in a front loaded horn

IMG_20141005_211255.jpg

The top half of the speaker had a Fostex FF85WK in a curved open baffle. I eventually discarded the baffle because it sounded better without it, more "spacious"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.