Kef Cadenza 20 litre sealed cabinet ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Noob learning by making here.

I have a pair of kef cadneza's, which to my ears are sounding a bit wooly these days. Not to mention looking tatty. The drivers are all immaculate (SP1022/T27/B139PR).

Whilst replacing the crossover with new components - same spec, as per system7's drawing below, I'd like to see if I could make some new more compact cabs for them.

I'm wondering if a sealed 20l box (deep), with the radiator at the back, would not mess things up with the standard kef XO.
(The old Kef spec sheet for SP1022 states "Enclosed 20-30l. Bass Reflex 40-50l")

Attachments

• KEF_Cadenza_Crossover_Schematic.JPG
    KEF_Cadenza_Crossover_Schematic.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 142
Since you are a self-declared 'noob', I'll back up pico's statement that you cannot reduce the enclosure's internal volume without totally changing the way the loudspeaker system functions.

Locating a passive radiator at the rear of an enclosure may require the enclosure to be located further from the wall in order to reduce bass 'boom'.

Noob learning by making here.

I have a pair of kef cadneza's, which to my ears are sounding a bit wooly these days. Not to mention looking tatty. The drivers are all immaculate (SP1022/T27/B139PR).

Whilst replacing the crossover with new components - same spec, as per system7's drawing below, I'd like to see if I could make some new more compact cabs for them.

I'm wondering if a sealed 20l box (deep), with the radiator at the back, would not mess things up with the standard kef XO.
(The old Kef spec sheet for SP1022 states "Enclosed 20-30l. Bass Reflex 40-50l")

If you still have the Cadenza's I was wondering if you could get a measurement off the woofer surround for me?

Thanks

The radiator is a form of bass reflex. Whether the radiator is at the front or the back does not change that. If you are going to 20 litres, a closed box would work better (as Kef box size recommendations suggest). It would be interesting how it sounds like that (less bass) The xover could well work in a closed box, but I would suggest a very rough prototype to try it out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.