Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Goodmans Dimension 8 Speakers.
Goodmans Dimension 8 Speakers.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th November 2018, 01:16 AM   #1
vishalk is offline vishalk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Goodmans Dimension 8 Speakers.

I have to admit i saw these and had to have them. I never seen anything like it before, these things were built in 1971 by goodmans. 4 Bass drivers with a passive 12inch bass assist, 2 mids and 2 tweeters.

So my aim is to give them some TLC, usual things like check the drivers, the crossovers could probably do with new parts etc.

Hoping someone out there has experience or knowledge to assist me! But i am really intrigued by these and want to have them running as Goodmans intended!

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 18th November 2018, 01:56 PM   #2
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Some information and specifications for the curious here:

goodmans-dimension-8
Old 18th November 2018, 02:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Refurbishment & Tour available in a series of YouTube videos.

YouTube
Old 19th November 2018, 03:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Galu, the youtube videos were ok certainly gave me an idea.

I've started work on renovating them, took off the passive bass radiator to reveal the crossover.

Wiring could do with a tidy, my next move is to replace the old capacitors on the crossover. Would anything else need to be changed? Inductors never really have issues do they?

Capacitors are

4.7uf 63v
40MFD 50v
10MFD 50v
60MFD 50v

My thoughts were to buy ALCAP capacitors as they are a close match to the originals.

I have a dayton DAT V2 which will help me check all the drivers to, then all i need to do is tidy the enclosures and get them resprayed.

IMG_20181119_084220.jpg

IMG_20181119_084302.jpg
Old 19th November 2018, 03:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, those old electrolytic caps (Elcaps etc.) will need replaced. The crossover will have been tuned with the ESR of electrolytics in mind, so best stick to electrolytics such as Alcaps. Also consider the Mundorfs from Wilmslow Audio.

Mundorf Electrolytic ECap Capacitors

The inductors can be left alone.

The twisted pair wiring looks good to me and you would hear no benefit from changing it.
Old 20th November 2018, 06:44 AM   #6
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

I think Goodmans must have been experimenting with some sort of drugs to come up with this design.Very weird sounding things.By no means bad-just very strange.Not so much deliberately obtuse as deliberately diffuse.
Old 20th November 2018, 08:21 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hahaha well either way they were breaking boundaries with the design. Its well built, the drivers are solid and they put a great deal into it.
Old 20th November 2018, 01:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I like weird and wacky! These speakers were produced by Goodmans in its heyday so the quality of the drivers should not be in question.

The mixture of direct and reflected sound may not be to modern tastes in regard to imaging, but I'd love to be able to hear the resulting soundstage!

I hope, vishalk, that you will continue to report on the progress of your renovation.
Old 20th November 2018, 08:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Of course i will Galu! Im actually doing a youtube build to help others who like me and you, like wierd whacky and vintage goodmans gear.

I will be sure to update my progress on here.
Old 6th December 2018, 08:39 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Drivers removed

IMG_20181205_214938.jpg

Speakers removed

IMG_20181205_214650.jpg

The black plastic type seal over the passive bass cone was coming away had to be glued, stretched and held down until it dries

IMG_20181205_214636.jpg

Same with midrange, over the years the glue somehow had weakened and the surround was coming away from the chassis.

Goodmans Dimension 8 Speakers.Hide this!Advertise here!