Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Goodmans Dimension 8 Speakers.
Goodmans Dimension 8 Speakers.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2018, 09:58 AM   #11
vishalk is offline vishalk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

midrange test.jpg

The above picture shows the midrange test on the dayton dat v2.

The green line showing the test before and the blue after glueing the surround down.

Click the image to open in full size.

New capacitors for crossover.

Last edited by vishalk; 6th December 2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 6th December 2018, 10:36 AM   #12
Mosquito is offline Mosquito  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Why weird? More recently, Mirage and Definitive Technology show similar arrangement..
Old 6th December 2018, 02:54 PM   #13
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalk View Post
. . . over the years the glue somehow had weakened and the surround was coming away from the chassis.
That's a common problem with drivers of this age. Also worth checking that the rear suspension spider is still securely glued to the driver basket - see attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detached Spider.jpg (117.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 6th December 2018, 05:09 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Well spotted Galu from the graph produced it shows from around 400hz to 1.5khz isnt smooth even after glueing the surround.

I doubled checked the spider and it was fine, what i need notice though was as i moved the spider the voice coil was sliding up and down the cone/diaphragm! The glue here had also come away, so that has been glued now and hopefully i will do another test and it should be a smooth curve.
Old 6th December 2018, 05:55 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Well spotted! Just don't put full power through those drivers until you're sure all's glued that's meant to be glued!
Old 6th December 2018, 06:52 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Every Driver has been thoroughly checked with the dayton dats v2, the bass drivers i will match them up closely.

I have glued and checked all parts where needed now!, next is to tackle the cabinets and get them filled, sanded and repainted.

Not to happy about the sponge dampening material, i have lots of polyfill and wool to thinking one cabinet i will leave standard and the other use poly acoustic wadding and see which one sounds better.
Old 6th December 2018, 07:15 PM   #17
Jonathan Bright is offline Jonathan Bright  Australia
diyAudio Member

Re; the overall design of these speakers. They are 'different' but may well be based or serious research. There is a paper by (Roy Allison? I think) in the JAES many yrs ago ('70's?) where he did extensive testing of speakers against walls and corners etc. I recall they had woofers near the boundaries. This generated a series of graphs that showed bass reinforcement in the lower octaves. I understand he marketed models based on this research. These Goodmans may have also been designed with that in mind.
Cheers Jonathan
Old 6th December 2018, 07:23 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Foam alters the sound quality at high frequencies, while wool felts alter the sound quality at lower frequencies.

At least that is what it says here:

How to Use Sound-Damping Materials in DIY Loudspeakers

Perhaps you could also experiment with a mixture of the two?
Old 6th December 2018, 07:29 PM   #19
Jonathan Bright is offline Jonathan Bright  Australia
diyAudio Member

Yes Galu that's worth thinking about because filling the enclosure will increase the effective volume and alter the low frequency response damping etc. But after all these yrs the T/S parameters of drivers and bass radiator are likely to have drifted a bit.......so the result will be like the marriage vows.....it will effect the speaker 'for better or worse' ha ha.
Old 6th December 2018, 07:38 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

haha thanks Jonathan! Thats a good link Galu one i have read many time before, i will certainly give it a go!

Goodmans Dimension 8 Speakers.Hide this!Advertise here!