Audiomaster MLS-1

hi i researched these and found info regarding one with a rectangular audax tweeter

there is also a model with round tweeter-anyone know the difference please

aud.PNG

Vintage Audiomaster MLS-1 Bookshelf Speakers | eBay

Hi Jkojic,

What is important to take care of with these Audax tweeter is the reference extension :
BA indicates a smaller sized magnet, implying lower spl and different fr
HR indicates a stonger magnet, with higher SPL.

Theses extensions effect is more significant than faceplate dimensions.

Now my question : as i am working on MLS1a clones, I am looking for the crossover configuration, do you have any information about it (layout and values) ?

Cheers

Pascal

I just had a dig in the basement archives. I think it's going to be quite a serious crossover, like the BBC LS3/5A.

I don't even know what half the values were on the bigger MLS4, but a notched 4th order bass and the KEF Acoustic Butterworth 3rd order tweeter quite likely.

In practise you'd just renew the NP capacitors and hope for the best.

I wouldn't clone it. Just do something similar like this:
Peerless HDS PPB 830860

Attachments

• Audiomaster_MLS4_Front.jpg
    Audiomaster_MLS4_Front.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Audiomaster-MLS4_Crossover.PNG
    Audiomaster-MLS4_Crossover.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 164
Thank you Steve,

The reason why i want to clone the MLS1a is that i have the speakers waiting to be used. :)

I know there is more modern designs available, with probably better results, but i think Audiomasters are very relaxing speakers to listen to, for example when doing other things than just listening.

Of course, these wil not be the only speakers i own, just a second (or third, but don't tell my wife !) system .

And after all, is diy main mean to be reasonnable ? I enjoy to test, tweak, change components value, just to hear "what is changing", a kind of learning about speaker building.

Kind regards

Round is probably the HD100D25, and the version you have there is the HD12X9D25. Functionally the same, IIRC. Falcon Acoustics sells different faceplate versions of the Audax TW025A0 as drop in replacements for both variants, which tends to support my recollection. See: Audax Tweeters, incl. TW025A0 ( HD 12x9D25 ), TW034X0, TW025M1
Hi do you know what is the drop in replacement for the Woofer Driver (HD 20D B25 H8ohom) please? Thanks.