Pre-ringing: Who has heard it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks guys. Yes these are complimentary high- and low-pass filter pairs.

So this afternoon I switched from a Blackman window to a Hann, and the artifact is now gone on that particular track. I could pick out something was wrong when using the Blackman in a few songs, but it took me an hour or so before I could nail down an actual defect that was obvious. So the BW with Hann window definitely sounds better than the Blackman window in my 10 mins. listening so far but I definitely need to spend some time with it and run some measurements with REW tomorrow to really make up my mind.

BYRTT I appreciate your take on it and I'm going to add LR16 (already have LR4 and LR8 implemented in my GUI) once I've given this a chance to sink in for a few sessions.

Last edited:
Hi,

After some weeks and a wide range of music on the brickwall filters with Hann window I found another track that chirped with drums beats last night. Opening track on human leagues dare lp.

So today I went back to lr filters and discovered that lr64 seems clean but lr256 and higher also exhibit chirping on the same track.

At this point I'll spend some extended time with lr64 and see if I find any more issues.

I'd suspect that LR64 might sound quite good in a particular listening spot, especially done digitally (Think computer...) to eliminate time-delay issues.

In the Real World, Cauchy proved that steep filters cause terrible time delay. This was 200 years ago.

I built phase networks 40 years ago. Not hard. You use op-amps and capacitors and resistors.

591432d1484097951-flat-impedance-flat-power-response-design-3rd_order_phase_network-jpg

The rules say the poles are always on the left. The zeroes are always on the right or vertical axis. This reflects the forward arrow of time.

Back then, the Hilbert Transform was little known: Hilbert transform - Wikipedia

Basically saying steeper filters distort time more. Some folks like a shallow filter. Harsch being one of them. AFAIK, Harsch filters sacrifice wobbly frequency response to better time characteristics.

Leads to some interesting real-world speakers:

812043d1580141374t-devore-orangutan-clone-img_5612-jpg

Finch (Morel CAT378 + Vifa PL18W0-09-08) – AmpsLab

Of course, with digital techniques. some of the problems can be fixed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.