15" woofer in <100 Liters with sensibility >95 dB

15" woofer, what about Faital 15FH500 (or 520) ? listening impression ?

Hello Evryone,

I have done my choice on my design. A 4 ways 15"/12"/6.5/Tweeter.
I have the medium and the tweeter, for now a couple "PR170Z0 + HT958PA" and another couple "PHL 1140 + tw034". And in the future, an AMT Heil ESS :)
My choices were driven by size and sensibility

So well I'm looking for a good woofer, with sensibility close to 95 dB / W / m, inside less than 100 Liters. Can you help me please ?

For now, I have two faital on my short list : 15FH500 and 15FH520. Any opinion about them ? listening impressions ?

By the way, how to choose between thme ?

Thank you in advance !

Last edited:
Why not some Hygeia AMT's or planar magnetic ribbons? :)

For your 15" woofer, I would also highly consider 18 Sound, B&C, Ciare, and Beyma to get on your short short short list. Depending on where you're located, I might also put Oberton and BMS on that same short list. Also keep in mind, that the low corner response of the bass driver will not necessarily follow the specified rated midband sensitivity, for the low-corner is specifically dictated by the enclosure volume. So the lower the enclosure volume, the more you give up on the low-corner bass response, so it's a catch-22, be careful what you wish for. :)

Hello Evryone,

Thank you to have take time :)
Oscars, yep I know it s a trade off. I'm aware about the low corner sensibility, need a good amp with a nice powee line.
Did you have some references please ? I live in Europe/France.

Brett : yes IIR active filtering with a minidsp

Jack, i will look at :) Higly priced, by the way, so I'm to be sure :)

Thx

BMS 15N850

Just got a pair. BMS 15n850v3. Astounding engineering. The baby brother to the much lauded 18n862. Yes, expensive (~$500/each). But state of the art.

You SHOULD be picky. I like pro companies because most if not all have Klippel testing and some will send their drivers for 3rd party testing, like BMS by Vance Dickason/Voice Coil right here:

https://pearl-hifi.com/06_Lit_Archive/15_Mfrs_Publications/40_Voice_Coil/2012/2012_1_Jan.pdf

Compare to B&C’s NBX and SW series. The SW has more BL but probably has excellent DC offset as well like the BMS. Compare also to Faital Pro 15XL1400.

Other companies like 18Sound, Ciare (both owned by B&C!), Faital Sound, La Voce (very competitive!), etc...all are excellent if implemented properly.

One reason I got the 15 inch from BMS was because I could see the third party Klippel results, and didn’t have to worry about any marketing biases. Second reason was most of these pro drivers are spec’d for a 15.5 inch (393 mm) frame diameter, but my box has only a 15.25 inch (388 mm) opening! I like my drivers countersunk!

Voice Coil reviews a lot of drivers, thankfully. As does Josh Ricci of Databass.

As Earl Geddes once told me, drivers are now commodities, ie not so unique in the sense that these pro companies are strongly competitive and serve a much larger population than diy’ers and small time audio folk! At this level of play, they are all really good!

Enjoy the hunt!

Best,
Anand

Last edited:
hello,
I have enclosure of 70 liters or 95 liters. I would like to know if the use of a faital 15fh500 is wise. I'm aiming for a cut at 350hz. I would like to know how to calculate 2 rectangular ports.

Icône de validation par la communauté