What magic does Bowers & Wilkins use to get two 6.5's to 24hz?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have B&W 804S, an earlier version of the 804 D3. Mine has aluminum tweeter, an earlier version of the FST midrange, and twin 6.5" in the same vented box.

I used to run them straight from a 2 channel tube amp and liked them. In fact, when I was shopping for amps I listened in the same shop/room/system with McIntosh MC252 (250Wpc solid state) and MC275 (75Wpc tubed) and liked the tubes better - I listened to bass heavy music too. Bought the MC275 and very happy.

10 years later I'm running them in an active setup: below them stereo 12" sealed subs, the twin 6.5" from 80 to 350Hz directly connected to a Hypex UcD400 and vents blocked, the MC275 driving the midrange and tweeter (this passive xo is still in there). I like a tilted frequency response. Bass significantly higher. Plus use bass traps.
Relieving the 6.5" from reproducing below 80Hz makes a big difference. The system also has a lot of headroom vs running it all from the MC275, so that helps too. But adjusting the bass/midbass frequency response to my taste made a huge difference. Plus the bass traps. These now sound a lot bigger than they used to.

Conclusion: no magic involved. Specs might be accurate, but they don't fully represent what you hear. Such a long post to conclude stating the obvious...oh well :eek:

Is there an app where the 82 works better? Am I missing something?

In a small room, where you can only install a diminutive loudspeaker (for whatever reason), but it must go low and reasonably, but not THX reference, loud. I'd install an 8" or even 7" 500 W subwoofer that goes down to 25 Hz and does 100 dB at 1 m in my bedroom, but I'd never install an 18" 500W subwoofer that does THX reference there. That 18" stays in my living room, thank you very much :)

But then again, maybe I'm not truly crazy, yet.

Speaking of the B&W 804, I've heard them, and I have to admit I liked their bass, both quantity and quality. The amp was not a powerhouse, maybe a Naim Nait 5i, but in that small-ish room it worked very well. Sounded tight and not boomy, but not too lean either. Overall I don't find B&W very neutral sounding, they sure have a sound "signature", and that works (psychoacoustically) for a lot of people. Maybe they're, I dare say, Bose done right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.