Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Quasar QS1 Studio Speakers.
Quasar QS1 Studio Speakers.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th December 2018, 01:07 AM   #11
redrooster is offline redrooster  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phivates View Post
Are the drivers identical in both enclosures? Quite the curiosity, these. Quasar was a Matsushita brand from 1974 on, applied to tv products, so they may have been an early attempt to try hifi. I do think your crossover caps are electrolytic, just better dressed than the generic.
This is why you should read the post through first mate! There is a link explaining this? These speakers were made in about 1973 by an English company Eagle International. The CEO Gerry Alder says that the Quasar QS1 is their Top of the range very high-quality Studio Loudspeaker. He goes on to say he is going to the USA to talk to potential distributors there because they can't be trusted to assemble them there blah, blah, blah!
Old 17th December 2018, 01:30 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMcK View Post
Those caps with 'elcap' on the side are all electrolytic, and will all need replacing.
You may also want to consider changing the orientation of the inductors to reduce interactions
Thanks for pointing out those Elcap electros for me. Tricky things! Could you give me a Reference/Link to (Changing the orientation of the Inductors to reduce Interactions)? I've never heard of this before and I've recapped a lot of speakers? I would've thought that this manufacturer had done its R/D properly in the first place? You wouldn't make a high-performance car and not tune it properly?
Old 17th December 2018, 02:14 AM   #13
c2cthomas is offline c2cthomas  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
Thanks for pointing out those Elcap electros for me. Tricky things! Could you give me a Reference/Link to (Changing the orientation of the Inductors to reduce Interactions)? I've never heard of this before and I've recapped a lot of speakers? I would've thought that this manufacturer had done its R/D properly in the first place? You wouldn't make a high-performance car and not tune it properly?
Let the internet be your friend -

There are a number of articles around - check for crossover design chats - but here is a primer that's pretty good about explaining things.

Inductor Coil Crosstalk Basics | Audioholics
Old 17th December 2018, 02:36 AM   #14
PeteMcK is offline PeteMcK
diyAudio Member

Re:'I would've thought that this manufacturer had done its R/D properly in the first place?" - it wasn't thought important in the 70s, we've become more fussy...:-)
If they sound OK with just the caps replaced, then it's probably not a big deal.
Those caps were used in KEF crossovers, but the ones I've measured have usually drifted quite a lot in value...
Old 19th December 2018, 12:06 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote(It wasn't thought important in the 70s, we've become more fussy)Quote. If you had read the post through and the link that Geotone has provided you would've seen that these speakers were considered very high-quality and top of the range. The CEO was hesitant to export them unassembled to the USA, he said he couldn't trust them to do it properly because ""they are best tuned in the factory.""

Last edited by redrooster; 19th December 2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 28th March 2019, 10:58 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I replaced the electrolytic caps with polypropylene caps the small ones 8 x 3.3uf and 2 x 4.2uf were not that expensive about $20. I replaced the bigger values 2 x 16uf and 2 x 60uf with polypropylene motor run caps. $3 and $6 respectively, all from Taiwan and all up about $40 for the lot. I was really disappointed with the sound at first, there was hardly any bass and midrange but I found they take time to burn in or whatever the word is and now they are sounding as good or better as any stereo Hi-Fi speakers I've ever heard in my 66 years. From top to bottom and all parts between the sound is great and it seems to be getting better all the time! I hot glued the big caps on the bottom for the time being just to see if they were going to be OK and I will hot glue them securely to the wooden struts soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0186.jpg (985.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0188.jpg (984.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 28th March 2019, 07:58 PM   #17
geotone is offline geotone  Europe
diyAudio Member

That does look like quality manufacturing, including the carefully applied spongeboard.
Minimum CtC distances, big magnets, cast woofer frame. Serious stuff!

You might want to add some medium amount of stuffing in there - difficult to say how high the woofer reaches, but it will do either nothing or good, hard to go wrong.
Old 29th March 2019, 01:25 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotone View Post
That does look like quality manufacturing, including the carefully applied spongeboard.
Minimum CtC distances, big magnets, cast woofer frame. Serious stuff!

You might want to add some medium amount of stuffing in there - difficult to say how high the woofer reaches, but it will do either nothing or good, hard to go wrong.
I didn't think anyone would notice the spongeboard? You have amazing powers of perception. lol, I found a big piece of fairyfloss/fiberglass stuff in one of the speakers, it looked old enough to be original, there was only the one piece in one speaker so I binned it and replaced both with some white felt polymer type material. Other than that both speakers were identical. Both speakers read 11 ohms across the banana plugs and are hard to drive compared to other speakers. Normally the Sansui AU11000 amplifier volume would be set at about 9 o'clock, with these speakers it's at about 12 o'clock.
Old 26th March 2020, 07:48 PM   #19
pd2 is offline pd2
diyAudio Member

I just dug a pair of these QS1s out of my cellar. I have had them since 1976 when they sounded good but they don't now. Where do I start to refurb them? Any advice will be useful!

Quasar QS1 Studio Speakers.Hide this!Advertise here!