Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Scanspeak Beryllium vs Mundorf AMT vs Usher 9950-20: your subjective opinions wanted
Scanspeak Beryllium vs Mundorf AMT vs Usher 9950-20: your subjective opinions wanted
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2018, 05:40 PM   #1
tacoman5000 is offline tacoman5000
diyAudio Member

Default Scanspeak Beryllium vs Mundorf AMT vs Usher 9950-20: your subjective opinions wanted

Like the title says, I want to hear anything you have to say about these tweeters compared to one another, especially from people who have heard all three. Let's just assume that all three are ideally implemented in a speaker design. Some points I'm interested in:

1. Sound
2. Value-for-money
3. Your personal choice and why

Any insights are welcome though

Last edited by tacoman5000; 9th November 2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10th November 2018, 03:03 AM   #2
OscarS is offline OscarS  United States
diyAudio Member

Mundorf makes A LOT of different AMTs. Which ones are you talking about?
Old 10th November 2018, 03:30 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarS View Post
Mundorf makes A LOT of different AMTs. Which ones are you talking about?
AMT19 or AMT21
Old 10th November 2018, 03:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Scanspeak referred to is the D3004/6040-10 model.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:04 PM   #5
jtgofish is offline jtgofish
diyAudio Member

Well a fair comparison would be with the Usher DMD diamond tweeter.
I am very familiar with the AMT type ribbons,the Scanspeak berryliums as in the Magicos and the Raaal and Raven Point Source ribbons but the absolute best treble and harmonics I have heard is with a the Usher DMD diamond tweeters in combination with Supratek DHT preamp.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:14 PM   #6
mbrennwa is online now mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

These are all good tweeters. But it really depends on how you want to use them, and what you are trying to achieve. Can you be a bit more specific what you have in mind?
Old 10th November 2018, 06:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys. I'll explain.

The only thing set in stone in this speaker design are the midbass drivers that I've already ordered, which are Vifa NE108W-08 units. I also already have the Usher 9950-20s from a previous thing I tried to do, so that would be the most economical choice.

Basically, anything goes in this build as long as budget permits. I just want the best sound for my money. I'm willing to spend more for quality parts as long as they're worth it. I've gotten into enough expensive hobbies in my life to realize that getting what I really want to begin with is more economical in the long run, so that's what I'm trying to aim for. Less than $300 per unit is the about as much as I'd like to spend on tweeters for now, however.

More specifically:

1. With the berylliums, I know I can cross these seamlessly with the Vifas at around 2khz so I will go 2-way then add 8 or 10 inch bass modules later on. I like the simplicity and relative ease of this build, especially since it's my first time.

2. With the Mundorf AMTs (I've learned that I only have access to the AMT19), I know I will probably need to go 3-way here immediately with a 3-4 inch dedicated mid to integrate all the drivers well. Will also likely add subs later on. I find this route kind of iffy because had I known I'd consider these AMTs, I'd have opted to get 4" midrange units instead of the NE180s, then 8" bass drivers.

3. The Ushers are of course the cheapest route. I believe I can cross these around 2.2khz LR4 (based on an old Dennis Murphy design I saw) with the Vifas so I'll go 3-way immediately with 8-10" bass drivers.

4. I plan on getting an 8-channel minidsp unit later on to learn with and perfect the integration of all components.

5. I have since added the Aurum Cantus G1 and the Fountek Neopro5i to the list of tweeters I am considering since this upgrade itch started with remembering how I loved the sound of the Aurum Cantus Melody-103 anyway. The Neopro5i is a very attractive choice for me because I can get it at a really good price. The Raals are too expensive for me right now.

6. I'm also thinking of going for a TMM design and get 2 more NE180W units. Midbass performance is important to me.

@mbrennwa

I'm not sure how I can get a hold of those Usher DMD tweeters or how much they are. Any idea?

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to comment/suggest anything

Last edited by tacoman5000; 10th November 2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10th November 2018, 07:57 PM   #8
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think I would pick the Beyma TPL-75 over any of the given choices.
Beyma TPL75 pleated diaphragm tweeter - Beyma TPL-75 - Beyma TPL-150Black high frequency tweeter. Beyma TPL-75 high frequency tweeter is available here at US Speaker. Beyma TPL75 speaker components.

They've been making AMTs for a long, long time and the big brother of the TPL-75 is considered by many as simply the best tweeter there is.
In fact if I were to spend over a couple of hundred the TPL-150H is the one I'd go for but that would result in a very different speaker altogether.
Old 11th November 2018, 04:39 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin View Post
I think I would pick the Beyma TPL-75 over any of the given choices.
Beyma TPL75 pleated diaphragm tweeter - Beyma TPL-75 - Beyma TPL-150Black high frequency tweeter. Beyma TPL-75 high frequency tweeter is available here at US Speaker. Beyma TPL75 speaker components.

They've been making AMTs for a long, long time and the big brother of the TPL-75 is considered by many as simply the best tweeter there is.
In fact if I were to spend over a couple of hundred the TPL-150H is the one I'd go for but that would result in a very different speaker altogether.
Thanks for the suggestion and link! I've read about the Beyma TPL-150H but I failed to look into the TPL-75 for some reason. I'll read about them now.

Edit:

Charles, have you heard these ribbons I mentioned, including the Raals? I've read about the Beymas being great up to 10khz but lack sparkle after that. Is this your observation?

Last edited by tacoman5000; 11th November 2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11th November 2018, 09:39 AM   #10
Charles Darwin is offline Charles Darwin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I've got some Fountek ribbons which I used as supertweeters above 15k but these days I doubt I can hear 15k!

They behave like all other ribbons: Excellent above 6k and quite poor below.
The measurements on RAALs I have seen suggest very strongly that they are no different.

Never heard any problems with AMTs but the ones I heard were a long time ago and the original Heil jobs.

Scanspeak Beryllium vs Mundorf AMT vs Usher 9950-20: your subjective opinions wantedHide this!Advertise here!