Scanspeak Beryllium vs Mundorf AMT vs Usher 9950-20: your subjective opinions wanted

Like the title says, I want to hear anything you have to say about these tweeters compared to one another, especially from people who have heard all three. Let's just assume that all three are ideally implemented in a speaker design. Some points I'm interested in:

1. Sound
2. Value-for-money
3. Your personal choice and why

Any insights are welcome though :)

Last edited:
Well a fair comparison would be with the Usher DMD diamond tweeter.
I am very familiar with the AMT type ribbons,the Scanspeak berryliums as in the Magicos and the Raaal and Raven Point Source ribbons but the absolute best treble and harmonics I have heard is with a the Usher DMD diamond tweeters in combination with Supratek DHT preamp.

Thanks guys. I'll explain.

The only thing set in stone in this speaker design are the midbass drivers that I've already ordered, which are Vifa NE108W-08 units. I also already have the Usher 9950-20s from a previous thing I tried to do, so that would be the most economical choice.

Basically, anything goes in this build as long as budget permits. I just want the best sound for my money. I'm willing to spend more for quality parts as long as they're worth it. I've gotten into enough expensive hobbies in my life to realize that getting what I really want to begin with is more economical in the long run, so that's what I'm trying to aim for. Less than $300 per unit is the about as much as I'd like to spend on tweeters for now, however.

More specifically:

1. With the berylliums, I know I can cross these seamlessly with the Vifas at around 2khz so I will go 2-way then add 8 or 10 inch bass modules later on. I like the simplicity and relative ease of this build, especially since it's my first time.

2. With the Mundorf AMTs (I've learned that I only have access to the AMT19), I know I will probably need to go 3-way here immediately with a 3-4 inch dedicated mid to integrate all the drivers well. Will also likely add subs later on. I find this route kind of iffy because had I known I'd consider these AMTs, I'd have opted to get 4" midrange units instead of the NE180s, then 8" bass drivers.

3. The Ushers are of course the cheapest route. I believe I can cross these around 2.2khz LR4 (based on an old Dennis Murphy design I saw) with the Vifas so I'll go 3-way immediately with 8-10" bass drivers.

4. I plan on getting an 8-channel minidsp unit later on to learn with and perfect the integration of all components.

5. I have since added the Aurum Cantus G1 and the Fountek Neopro5i to the list of tweeters I am considering since this upgrade itch started with remembering how I loved the sound of the Aurum Cantus Melody-103 anyway. The Neopro5i is a very attractive choice for me because I can get it at a really good price. The Raals are too expensive for me right now.

6. I'm also thinking of going for a TMM design and get 2 more NE180W units. Midbass performance is important to me.

@mbrennwa

I'm not sure how I can get a hold of those Usher DMD tweeters or how much they are. Any idea?

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to comment/suggest anything :)

Last edited:
I think I would pick the Beyma TPL-75 over any of the given choices.
Beyma TPL75 pleated diaphragm tweeter - Beyma TPL-75 - Beyma TPL-150Black high frequency tweeter. Beyma TPL-75 high frequency tweeter is available here at US Speaker. Beyma TPL75 speaker components.

They've been making AMTs for a long, long time and the big brother of the TPL-75 is considered by many as simply the best tweeter there is.
In fact if I were to spend over a couple of hundred the TPL-150H is the one I'd go for but that would result in a very different speaker altogether.

I think I would pick the Beyma TPL-75 over any of the given choices.
Beyma TPL75 pleated diaphragm tweeter - Beyma TPL-75 - Beyma TPL-150Black high frequency tweeter. Beyma TPL-75 high frequency tweeter is available here at US Speaker. Beyma TPL75 speaker components.

They've been making AMTs for a long, long time and the big brother of the TPL-75 is considered by many as simply the best tweeter there is.
In fact if I were to spend over a couple of hundred the TPL-150H is the one I'd go for but that would result in a very different speaker altogether.

Thanks for the suggestion and link! I've read about the Beyma TPL-150H but I failed to look into the TPL-75 for some reason. I'll read about them now.

Edit:

Charles, have you heard these ribbons I mentioned, including the Raals? I've read about the Beymas being great up to 10khz but lack sparkle after that. Is this your observation?

Last edited:
I've got some Fountek ribbons which I used as supertweeters above 15k but these days I doubt I can hear 15k! :)

They behave like all other ribbons: Excellent above 6k and quite poor below.
The measurements on RAALs I have seen suggest very strongly that they are no different.

Never heard any problems with AMTs but the ones I heard were a long time ago and the original Heil jobs.

Basically, anything goes in this build as long as budget permits.

I am pretty sure that's not a good approach.

One usually has a few design ideas in mind, and then develops the specific goals that should be achieved. Choosing the right drivers based on their tech specs is part of implementing these design goals. It is awkward to put the priority to exhausting a given budget before considering the technical requirements.

I've got some Fountek ribbons which I used as supertweeters above 15k but these days I doubt I can hear 15k! :)

They behave like all other ribbons: Excellent above 6k and quite poor below.
The measurements on RAALs I have seen suggest very strongly that they are no different.

Never heard any problems with AMTs but the ones I heard were a long time ago and the original Heil jobs.

Alright, thanks :)

I am pretty sure that's not a good approach.

One usually has a few design ideas in mind, and then develops the specific goals that should be achieved. Choosing the right drivers based on their tech specs is part of implementing these design goals. It is awkward to put the priority to exhausting a given budget before considering the technical requirements.

I believe I've already laid out the design ideas I have that are possible within my budget. The goal is to actually get the most bang for my money in terms of sound quality, which is very subjective. This is why I am asking for subjective opinions on these tweeters. I know what I am looking for in terms of sound, but I have no way to listen to these units at the moment so I have to rely on whatever people may say about them. I don't agree that this is a bad approach, but thanks for your opinion :)

I just also want to say that the only reason I'll be learning to build speakers is for my own personal enjoyment of my music. I'm not trying to be a professional speaker designer. I understand where you're coming from, and that approach makes sense for a pro. However, I think even they have budget considerations in mind when they come up with a design, especially if it's meant to be offered commercially. Otherwise, everyone will always just come up with the best designs using the best parts money can buy.

Last edited:
No, I haven't done any experimenting with the drivers of your interest but I should stress out that the most important thing is to learn how to design good performing crossover filters, and then enters drive unit quality into the equation. An excellent sound quality is easily achieved with a Morel CAT 308, vintage Dynaudio D28/2 and Scan Speak classic series for instance. The higher priced premium and more modern products could be considered a tiny bit better, but in sighted evaluations only, I'm affraid.

No, I haven't done any experimenting with the drivers of your interest but I should stress out that the most important thing is to learn how to design good performing crossover filters, and then enters drive unit quality into the equation. An excellent sound quality is easily achieved with a Morel CAT 308, vintage Dynaudio D28/2 and Scan Speak classic series for instance. The higher priced premium and more modern products could be considered a tiny bit better, but in sighted evaluations only, I'm affraid.

Thanks for that insight. I believe it. I'm actually thinking of just using the 9950-20s for now and getting a minidsp unit to learn the ins and outs of crossover design.

So in that case, invest your time and money in the tools that help you get the best out of whatever design you come up with. So make sure you can measure properly, and get to know what your doing. In the end that will give you the most bang for you bucks.

Btw, why only choose between the three? For instance SB has some very nice tweeters on display, including beryllium ones but also much cheaper, almost as good silk domes.

Btw2, going active Is probably a smart thing to do. Also have a look at the Hypex plate amps if you need amps, then you have a all-in-one solution of high quality.

Last edited:
So in that case, invest your time and money in the tools that help you get the best out of whatever design you come up with. So make sure you can measure properly, and get to know what your doing. In the end that will give you the most bang for you bucks.

Btw, why only choose between the three? For instance SB has some very nice tweeters on display, including beryllium ones but also much cheaper, almost as good silk domes.

My choice of tweeters depends a lot on what I have access to for good prices and what I have come to learn about how they sound. I live in Asia and I can pay as much as 25% duty for importing anything above the minimum duty-free declared value, and the shipping fee alone can easily reach $70+ if I order from the usual vendors in North America and Europe. The Scanspeaks and the Mundorf AMTs just appealed to me and I can order them from another country where a family member lives, who can take it home with minimal taxes paid. Regarding SB, I was very interested in the SB26ADC-C000-4 aluminum one, not so much in their other offerings. The Scanspeak beryllium I chose is actually cheaper than any of the SB offerings at Madisound.

Thanks for that insight. I believe it. I'm actually thinking of just using the 9950-20s for now and getting a minidsp unit to learn the ins and outs of crossover design.

You're quite welcome. MiniDSP will help you achieve many great filter options in a matter of no time, unlike expensive passive filters. Stop by anytime to discuss a certain issue or a dilemma for there is still enough people of good will to help a fellow DIYer.

Last edited: