Speaker box dimensions question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a newbie question but, would there be a problem if a speaker box has perfectly square dimensions, say a floorstander that's 9" x 9" x 44"? I'm not aware of any rule regarding this, it's just I haven't seen a single speaker box with such dimensions, and I want to make my speaker project this way.

If there's a problem with this please let me know :)

The speaker membrane acts as divider between what it produces front ward and backward. You want only forward emission but the rear emission cannot be blocked at the expense of the front...they are indeed connected. The form of a pipe applied to the back (but also to the front but with the exclusion of the inverse cone shape and the addition of the basket and the magnet) produces a hollow sound, because of the cavity effect (?!?) of the pipe. You'll find written that inside enclosures it will happen strange phenomenons like stationary /standing waves (!??) or the internal propagation of many interfering waves at various amplitudes and frequencies

Last edited:
The speaker membrane acts as divider between what it produces front ward and backward. You want only forward emission but the rear emission cannot be blocked at the expense of the front...they are indeed connected. The form of a pipe applied to the back (but also to the front but with the exclusion of the inverse cone shape and the addition of the basket and the magnet) produces a hollow sound, because of the cavity effect (?!?) of the pipe. You'll find written that inside enclosures it will happen strange phenomenons like stationary /standing waves (!??) or the internal propagation of many interfering waves at various amplitudes and frequencies

Thanks for replying, though I didn't really understand anything haha.

They don't do this kind for it looks rather less elegant. It won't matter once you stuff the enclosure appropriately, as it should be in any case.

I see, that makes sense. I don't think I'm bold enough to attempt something so off-kilter for my first build so I'm back to the drawing board for the cabinets.

I'd like to attempt tall square cabinets someday though!

you may want to read up on "Golden Ratio" theory since your saying that you don't know of any rules regarding box dimensions.

and keep in mind that external shape doesn't mean the interior is the same, it could contain panels for a transmission line or backloaded horn or holey braces to reduce the effect of standing waves.

Last edited:
you may want to read up on "Golden Ratio" theory since your saying that you don't know of any rules regarding box dimensions.

and keep in mind that external shape doesn't mean the interior is the same, it could contain panels for a transmission line or backloaded horn or holey braces to reduce the effect of standing waves.

I'll read up on that, thanks!

Right, boxes, etc., have standing waves [eigenmodes] same as rooms, just higher in frequency simply because the box is tiny relative to a typical room, so to keep these standing waves from audibly modulating the driver, the easiest thing to do is shape it in a golden or acoustic ratio to drastically reduce the amount of internal damping required to fine tune it: HyperPhysics

Very high aspect ratio boxes have 1/4 pipe [TL] resonances, so offsetting the driver [or vent if used] at an odd harmonic along its line damps it somewhat: Resonances of open air columns

GM

Right, boxes, etc., have standing waves [eigenmodes] same as rooms, just higher in frequency simply because the box is tiny relative to a typical room, so to keep these standing waves from audibly modulating the driver, the easiest thing to do is shape it in a golden or acoustic ratio to drastically reduce the amount of internal damping required to fine tune it: HyperPhysics

Very high aspect ratio boxes have 1/4 pipe [TL] resonances, so offsetting the driver [or vent if used] at an odd harmonic along its line damps it somewhat: Resonances of open air columns

GM

That's awesome and makes a lot of sense. To be honest though, I don't have enough of a background in Physics to understand it completely. When you say offsetting the driver at an odd harmonic along its line, I don't exactly understand how to do that. But it's all interesting so I might just read up on that as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.