Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Speaker box dimensions question
Speaker box dimensions question
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2018, 10:15 PM   #11
tacoman5000 is offline tacoman5000
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Right, boxes, etc., have standing waves [eigenmodes] same as rooms, just higher in frequency simply because the box is tiny relative to a typical room, so to keep these standing waves from audibly modulating the driver[s], the easiest thing to do is shape it in a golden or acoustic ratio to drastically reduce the amount of internal damping required to fine tune it: HyperPhysics

Very high aspect ratio boxes have 1/4 pipe [TL] resonances, so offsetting the driver [or vent if used] at an odd harmonic along its line damps it somewhat: Resonances of open air columns

GM
That's awesome and makes a lot of sense. To be honest though, I don't have enough of a background in Physics to understand it completely. When you say offsetting the driver at an odd harmonic along its line, I don't exactly understand how to do that. But it's all interesting so I might just read up on that as well.
Old 10th November 2018, 01:31 AM   #12
turk 182 is offline turk 182  Canada
diyAudio Member

the young paduwan's eyes are opening....will he be consumed by the dark side...
Old 10th November 2018, 03:33 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk 182 View Post
the young paduwan's eyes are opening....will he be consumed by the dark side...
Haha. I may be young in DIY audio but I'm already in my late 30s. I have the mind of a 20-something guy though so maybe that still applies
Old 10th November 2018, 06:23 AM   #14
olsond3 is offline olsond3  United States
diyAudio Member

Hornresp software has the ability to model a box and show the response from internal reflections with different levels of damping material included. There are tutorials for it and it's free.
Old 10th November 2018, 07:27 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsond3 View Post
Hornresp software has the ability to model a box and show the response from internal reflections with different levels of damping material included. There are tutorials for it and it's free.
Great, thanks. I'll check it out!

Speaker box dimensions questionHide this!Advertise here!