Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Full range vs multi for wall mount surround speakers
Full range vs multi for wall mount surround speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2018, 09:58 AM   #11
jameswalker is offline jameswalker  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input. It seems more compelling to go 2/3 way to me now, based on the above experiences. I guess this thread is the wrong place to discuss driver selection? I need to do a fair amount more research now that I have chosen this initial path!

I am also thinking monopole now that I have read up on room configuration; the surrounds are appx 2m behind the sofa (given behind the sofa is the through-way, they cannot be located closer).

Next decision is 2 or 3 way. I am not against the added complexity of 3 way if the results will be worthwhile. But if the difference is negligible given the extra effort, I would stick with 2 way.

Assuming 3 way for now, I COULD go down the ribbon tweeter route, which is something I have always fancied. I don't have ribbons up front, though. Would this mismatch be a mistake? Or just a nice added bonus up high for the rears?

For drivers, I am thinking either a 6" or an 8" low/mid (doesn't need to give a HUGE SPL, I am just conscious of the small, probably sealed enclosure to give the best in the compromised situation). Then a couple more drivers, either 2 silk dome tweeters but perhaps a better match between a larger woofer and a ribbon tweeter might be a couple of small 3 or 4" cones. What are the opinions here?

Once a rough outline has been established, I can go back to the datasheets to find compatible drivers.

Thanks again.
Old 9th November 2018, 02:13 PM   #12
technofreak is offline technofreak  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
FIY, I just finished a pair of rear speakers. 8" midbass (HiVi M8A) and 1" tweeter (SB Acoustics SB26ADC) on a Monacor WG300 waveguide. The midbass section (including box volume/tuning, but not shape) is the same as in my 3-way front speakers, which use ACR TT50 mid and Seas 22TAF/G tweeter. In a side-by-side comparison the rear and front speakers sound similar enough to be considered "timbre matched". Certainly placement in room makes more difference than 2-way vs. 3-way, so I'd suggest 2-way and invest the mid driver money into good crossover.

My previous rear speakers were some 4" plus 1" ones from a Yamaha mini hi-fi system. Redid the crossovers, of course, and they sound quite decent for what they are. But upgrading to "real" speakers that can move some air was worthwhile, as movies these days put quite a lot to rear channels.
Old 9th November 2018, 02:20 PM   #13
cspieker is offline cspieker
diyAudio Member

Thanks gm. That's a great reference. The only thing I might say is that in my home, when the wife is gone and the boys turn up mad max to 11, 105db for mains(+10) for sub, doesn't quite do it for me. I think in my medium to large theater a 1 meter max output of 115db for each speaker seems like enough for the front three, I should pull out the spl meter sometime and see what I'm running at the seats, I'm still figuring out how much the surrounds need, but the recommendations on the Dolby requirements of the same as the front three is probably wise. The sub is another matter. I'm not sure what output is enough, but mine 114 dB at 1 meter isn't quite gut throttling. I guess 115 +10=125db. That's probably about right. My horn sub will do 140 or so, if I ever finish it.
Old 9th November 2018, 02:28 PM   #14
jameswalker is offline jameswalker  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I can find almost no info on the ACR tt50 mid, how did you go about choosing components with such little info?
Old 9th November 2018, 03:14 PM   #15
technofreak is offline technofreak  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to technofreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswalker View Post
I can find almost no info on the ACR tt50 mid, how did you go about choosing components with such little info?
Because they're from early 1990's I believe they're actually rebranded MB Quart, similar to those used in Thiel CS5 and Avalon Ascent mk2.Here's ACR catalog from 1990. Closest equivalent today is, I think, Dayton RS52AN.
Old 9th November 2018, 05:36 PM   #16
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspieker View Post
Thanks gm.

The only thing I might say is that in my home, when the wife is gone and the boys turn up mad max to 11, 105db for mains(+10) for sub, doesn't quite do it for me.

My horn sub will do 140 or so, if I ever finish it.
You're welcome!

Seriously?! Per channel at the Lp? Lot of SPL lost over distance in larger HTs.

Sub wise, peak output depends on distance of course plus how many, if any, channels are set to 'small', routing all the < 80 or 120 Hz output to the LFE system depending on XO point. Without access to my calculators, seems to me it was at least 121 dB/m for a 5.1 system all set to 'small' to meet the original THX reference, so could still need more over distance combined with more channels, pushing it to $$$ prosound small cinema $$$ requirements; so yeah, only large horn[s] or multi-driver array[s] need 'apply'.

Better overall though is to have a sub system for every zone to keep them relatively 'compact' and positioned around the room to average out the system's in room response, and to do it up really right, is add subs up the walls at an odd harmonic to deal with the vertical eigenmodes after Drs. Toole, Geddes respectively.

Do it this way and they can be relatively small, using inexpensive components/plate amps, yet summing to an enveloping, high SQ, extreme [sub] bass output to below audibility that can literally 'bring the house down' as I learned the hard way many moons ago while enjoying U-571's depth charge scene.

GM

Full range vs multi for wall mount surround speakersHide this!Advertise here!