Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Advice on building a portable audio speaker
Advice on building a portable audio speaker
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Gaussem is offline Gaussem
diyAudio Member

Default Advice on building a portable audio speaker

Hello everybody.

I started working on a new project for a portable bluetooth speaker and I need advice from experts as my knowledge is quite limited.

The idea is to build something of the size and power of a JBL Extrem 2.
Something around 60W in power.

I struggle choosing the drivers, precisely what to combine to get the best results. I have a limited space to fix the drivers. Indeed, the speakers would be placed radially on a cylinder 70 mm wide maximum. (Full-range drivers would be 2'' maximum to fit in the aera)

I intend using two passive radiators.
Do you recommend using two Full-range drives with tweeters ?
Are full-range drivers alone enough ?

A last question : How important is the volume for a system with Radiators ?
What is the effect on the sound ?
When I look on different websites, it seems to be important. However, when checking what's inside speakers like JBL Extrem, the inside volume seems to be limited and filled with electronic components and batteries.

Looking forwarg to hearing your advices,

A nice day to everyone
Old 8th November 2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Lojzek is offline Lojzek  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi,

this is not as easy of a project as one might think at first, especially if one wishes to do something of similar quality as JBL's Extreme, and the cost would probably be high enough. There is this kit that represents a good start and I'd consider it. It is always better to have a dedicated tweeter but it would involve a crossover filter design and probably an active one, and then the simplicity is already gone. Keep it simple.

Portable 60 Watt Battery Powered Bluetooth Speaker Package with 3" Full-Range Drivers

Advice on building a portable audio speakerHide this!Advertise here!