First pair of DIY speakers. Advice please?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Folks,

I am looking to build some speakers for this integrated amplifier:

Valve Audio Predator integrated amplifier – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

I'll run a PS audio Nuwave DAC into the amp.

The amp appealed to me because it's a Valve/Transistor hybrid. It happens to be very powerful which is not why I bought it.

-room is medium-sized(speakers will be 3 ft from back wall, due to immovable cupboards so ports matter: low, rear port will fire into the cupboards)
-dynamics, neutrality and speed are more important to me than bass
-I don't listen to rock and I don't listen to particularly loud music
-I have a buddy who is an excellent carpenter and he'll help me build the cabs

I guess my questions are:

-which kits in the $500 - $700 range represent good value?
-which of those kits can be modified in time?
-what spec. should the kit to have to integrate with the amp?

I have a very neat tri-aktiv Linn system right now, and I listen very carefully to a range of audiophile setups so I am calibrated to a certain degree.

Thanks in anticipation.
David

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I strongly suggest you to make a set of Kairos or Kalasan. There are speakers that do somethings better, it is always a compromise, you know... but those satori drivers just sound really good together. With time you will be able to change the tweeters to Be if you like and add bass modules to them.

+ Kairos.
I'm building the Adelphos, which is the same as the Kairos only with flat baffle.
Right now when the speakers with baffle only without the full cabinet, they sound awesome. detailed and clean sound. Very natural. They reminds me Sonus Faber Cremona.
I have vifa XT + HDS 2 way speakers, made by french manufacturer Elipson. The Satori sounds very similar - only better in every aspect. the tune and color of the sound is very similar.

PKI - Is there a simple way to upgrade to Be?

Hello Folks,
I guess my questions are:

-which kits in the $500 - $700 range represent good value?
-which of those kits can be modified in time?
-what spec. should the kit to have to integrate with the amp?

Thanks in anticipation.
David

Hi David,

I would not call the 500-700 dollar range exactly good value, rather a more expensive parts kit selection in accordance with current fashion. I suspect that pretty much all the kits available at the usual stores we know here, have already passed the initial test of worthiness at some diy audio show or otherwise the stores would not have carried these at all. A kit of good value in my opinion is any kit like Zaph's SR71 for instance.

A kit can be modified at any point, that is entirely up to one's own know-how. Whether a kit designer has foreseen a future mod of some sort is best to ask directly.

No particular spec is necessary to meet the criteria of driving it with the amp of your choosing. You know that there is no warranty for overdriving voice coils.

I would recommend a Vincent-Tac company as a great manufacturer of extremely good value for the buck hybrid amps.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.