Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

JBL PT 100x100 waveguides, any experience? MPro?
JBL PT 100x100 waveguides, any experience? MPro?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2019, 01:14 PM   #171
Robh3606 is offline Robh3606  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I use ~15 dB of CD horn equalisation relative to about 2.5 kHz on the JBL 2453h-SL/2384 waveguide. The large format 4" CD is good to about 19 kHz.
You mean +15db?

Rob
Old 6th May 2019, 01:32 PM   #172
Bill Coltrane is offline Bill Coltrane  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
That looks good too.

Something in the 2408 bothered my ears, maybe the 15 and 23khz slight resonance, idk.
I'm very curious about the 2409h, really want to try that one if it becomes available for DIY.
Old 6th May 2019, 02:55 PM   #173
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

Has anyone ever measured a D2430 on one of the newer PT waveguides ?
I have once done so with a PT95 and the measurement looked very smooth (the expected CD rolloff. But within +- 1dB between 1.5 kHz approx and 5 kHz). But I have to admit that I didn't measure with the same resolution as DT used for measuring his M2 waveguides.

regards

Charles
Old 6th May 2019, 07:37 PM   #174
300Z is offline 300Z  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 300Z Send a message via MSN to 300Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
That looks good too.

Something in the 2408 bothered my ears, maybe the 15 and 23khz slight resonance, idk.
The 2408H or the 2408H-2?
I have been running the 2408H for the past 10 years or so on the JBL 6x6 PT waveguide and have no problems with mine. I can hear to 16.4khz and the top end on mine sounds fairly smooth.
This is an old measurement, used 3 eq bands from a MiniDSP. 5db/division.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 16.31.57.png (23.1 KB, 156 views)
Old 9th May 2019, 08:09 PM   #175
DualTriode is offline DualTriode  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello All,

It is interesting looking at and listening to these JBL D2 / M2 CD and waveguides.

There are several options to equalizing these things.

So far I am keeping it active analog. I like listening to old vinyl and do not want to jump just yet into the DSP.

I have taken the CD’s and waveguides out of the lab where I use PPE hearing protection to the listening room where I keep a SPL meter on the table next to me. Thanks Mitch the reference is 83dB SPL.

Using the M2 waveguides and PT H1010HF-1 waveguides with the different; D2, 2432H and 2451J CD’s there is concept taking form. The better I do equalizing the combinations to the target curve, the more they sound the same.

The D2 M2 combination seems to have a more precise soundstage and more natural sounding solo voices and instruments. It is easy to get lost in the music.

The target curve that I am using is downward sloping to to 2KHz at 0.9dB’s per octave and 1.2dB per octave from 2KHz to 20KHz. This target is not too different than the Harmon Curve.

I have plotted the target curve on the D2 M2 Frequency Plot. There is not any extreme EQ being done with the Rane AC23S 30 Band Equalizer. Oh I almost forgot. The AC23S has CD Mass Break roll off compensating bypass capacitors installed on the PCB.

For fun I went to ebay and ordered 4 new to me, used, Crown COM-TECH amplifiers

See the attachment below.

For Fun!
YouTube

Thanks DT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D2 M2 EQ.jpg (130.7 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by DualTriode; 9th May 2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10th May 2019, 04:08 AM   #176
norman bates is offline norman bates  United States
diyAudio Member

nice work
Old 10th May 2019, 05:32 PM   #177
mitchba is offline mitchba  Canada
diyAudio Member

DT Nice!

Re: Using the M2 waveguides and PT H1010HF-1 waveguides with the different; D2, 2432H and 2451J CDís there is concept taking form. The better I do equalizing the combinations to the target curve, the more they sound the same.

Yes, I have found the same in my experiments. In some respects, it levels the playing field as one can evaluate other aspects of the SQ without the variant of frequency response.

Re: The D2 M2 combination seems to have a more precise soundstage and more natural sounding solo voices and instruments. It is easy to get lost in the music.

Cool. Looking into the D2 M2 combo over the past year, I see others have made similar comments on various forums (AVS, Lansing Heritage) on precision soundstage and natural sounding.

Keep going!
Old 16th May 2019, 09:00 PM   #178
DualTriode is offline DualTriode  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Really smooth just right out of the box.

Hello,

I get more and more tempted by this little combination.

https://faitalpro.com/en/products/HF...p?id=903010100

https://faitalpro.com/en/products/HF...p?id=502010305

Really smooth just right out of the box.

A large feature is that it is not visually dominating in the speaker stack. You are not looking down the orifice of a pair of Butt Cheeks.

There was a little concern about a lumpy frequency response curve like the 2342 has, no such problem.

At best this little tractrix is controlled dispersion not constant dispersion. Cross it over from the 8 inch midrange about 2000Hz for a smoothly tapering Dispersion Index.

Thanks DT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMS Level FP HF 111 FP ST Traxit 2.jpg (83.8 KB, 62 views)

JBL PT 100x100 waveguides, any experience? MPro?Hide this!Advertise here!