Active speakers DIY kit with integrated amplifier and DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I would like to build my first speakers (just to use some already working approach...not to invent new design). Is there some three way active speakers 2.0 kit with amplifier and DAC (which would be integrated into speaker's closet)? I am looking for speakers which could be connected to PC via USB and I wouldn't need anything else.

I am new to this so I am sorry for this question in advance if it is the stupid one :D and this design is not possible for example because of the small space in the speakers unit or because of the interference or overheating (I was just wondering if anything like this is possible because I don't have enough space on my desk so it would be convenient not to worry about external amplifier and DAC).

There are a few plate amps with built in toslink optical connector and dsp like the Hypex fusion fa123 or just use an analogue plate amp with a usb dac like the dragonfly red. Does you pmc have an optical output?

However, there is a bit missing from the info posted and that is you need a crossover to integrate the three speaker drivers. This can be some passively and then add an smsl ad18 small desktop amp which has a usb dac or actively by dsp as in the fusion plate amps.

I would be tempted to see if the smsl ad18 will fit (or going up a notch a nad d3020) and find a pair of small bookshelf passive speakers to make that have a good pedigree and fit the budget (his much are you thinking of).

Hi,
I would like to build my first speakers (just to use some already working approach...not to invent new design). Is there some three way active speakers 2.0 kit with amplifier and DAC (which would be integrated into speaker's closet)? I am looking for speakers which could be connected to PC via USB and I wouldn't need anything else.

Have a look at Beocreate. Itsnot exactly a kit, and you will need to have one in each speaker and generate a toslink signal and then split it to both - you then configure each side differently so that one of the stereo signals is discarded.

Not sure what you mean by 3 way active 2.0?

As mentioned you can send digital to the new Hypex amps (and then from one to the next). You'll need USB to spdif or USB to AES but at least its all digital.

I have spdif but I would like to have USB input on speakers either. I was thinking maybe around $1000 - $1500 for speakers + amp + dac (if I would be able to get all the components in EU so I don't have to pay tax and duty.
I would like to use active dsp crossover (ideally with build in dac with usb interface... or I would use the dragonfly red for the conversion).

Not sure what you mean by 3 way active 2.0?
I meant stereo speakers with woofer, tweeter and mid-range driver.
As mentioned you can send digital to the new Hypex amps (and then from one to the next). You'll need USB to spdif or USB to AES but at least its all digital.
OK if the Hypex amps is better solution than dragonfly red I would use spdif from my pc.

Worth noting that a 3 way active is not going to be a small desktop speaker, more like stand mount.

Do you have any requirements mapped out other than active plate amp and digital input -

Size w,d,h
Type of music listened to
Tonal quality
Room size
Speaker placement

Budget look possible, Hypex fa123 are $430 each so that is a big chunk of the budget gone but that does include amps, dsp and dac (note you will need a measurement microphone to accurately set up the dsp which will include cross overs, gain matching and iron out and high/low spots)

Hypex-FA123

If you look at something like the Holtz Statement monitor, a well regarded design/designer the drivers are -

Statements_Monitor

Dayton RS180-4 at $43 each (on sale at the moment)
TB w4-1337 with neo magnet at $73 each
New cd 3.0 ribbon tweeter at $75 each

If you can go bigger the Statesman may be worth a look aswell.

Add to this cable and connectors makes a parts budget around $400-450 plus wood glue and finish.

Note the Statement monitor may not be the best choice as it has an open rear mid that may get in the way of the plate amp (note the Hypex is not sealed so needs its own compartment or a sealed box).

So this tops out your budget.

Also a good starting point are the Troels designs DIY-Loudspeakers

Hope this helps.

Speakers somewhere between 35x20x20 - 50x30x30cm would be ok and I liked the Holtz Statement monitor very much (or Troels Bookshelf 3WC was also nice).

Type of music: rock, dance, classic
What do you mean by tonal quality?
Room size: cca 50-60 m2
Speakers on the working desk

Thank you very much for suggestions.

edit: if I'd want to invest little more what drivers should I consider?

Last edited:
Tonal quality, I guess this is less of an issue with an active cross over and dsp but typical hifi speakers have a “smiley face” frequency profile with a small boost in the bass and treble whereas studio monitors tend to be as flat as possible and there is a theory that a gentle slope from bass to treble should sound good. Each has its merits but most is very much personal preference but can be altered with the dsp. So, do you like big fat bass, lean fast bass, wide sound stage, clear mids, bright/natural/smooth treble etc.

In terms of drivers it is really down to what works well together and with the box so the dsp has to do as little work as possible in my opinion.

The Satori range from Sb acoustics has been getting good comments and the sb26adc is a good metal dome tweeter as an alternative to the sb29rdc soft dome ring tweeter.

Even though you are going active it is worth spending time modelling the speaker box and driver in a sim package to see how it will all fit together, most allow an active simulation with gain control and simple 6/12/18/24db slope crossovers. This will give you a quick idea if they work together and can be balanced for volume.

Worth noting that the Statement monitors are 56cm high and the 3wc 60cm. Also worth looking for either sealed or front ports if you are desk mounting them close to a rear wall.

These may be worth a look Bookshelf-3WC

The parts are slightly more tweeter $75, mid $58, bass $89.

Last edited:
Tonal quality, I guess this is less of an issue with an active cross over and dsp but typical hifi speakers have a “smiley face” frequency profile with a small boost in the bass and treble whereas studio monitors tend to be as flat as possible and there is a theory that a gentle slope from bass to treble should sound good. Each has its merits but most is very much personal preference but can be altered with the dsp. So, do you like big fat bass, lean fast bass, wide sound stage, clear mids, bright/natural/smooth treble etc.
I like dynamic sound, prefer lean fast bass, clear mids and natural treble (I don't want sound to be too much analytical at the same time).
Also worth looking for either sealed or front ports if you are desk mounting them close to a rear wall.
These may be worth a look Bookshelf-3WC
Yeah speakers would be only few cm from the rear wall. Bookshelf-3WC are the best from what I've seen.

Nothing could be simpler. Take any good woofer, any pair of good middles, and any pair of friend-egg tweeters. You put the middles and the tweeters in smallish boxes with tall legs. You make a large sealed box for the woofer.

You buy a Behringer DCX2496 which provides crossover and all the DSP controls in the world. You can input by SPDIF coax or RCA. If USB to coax, you need a $40 converter like the Breeze. That's it.

Go to the Salvation Army store and buy 5 or 6 amp channels in any collection you want provided they were designed after maybe 1975.

Done and you'll be able to tune up a truly superior system after identifying suitable crossover points (ANY points that works with the drivers you bought) and EQ'd accordingly. Makes no sense to be anything but DSP and bi-amp'ed today, no sense in any sense.

B.

Last edited:
That seems ambitious for a 3-way active. Your desk much be much bigger than mine!

Perhaps consider sub cabinets under the desk with the amps in, and satellites on the desk? I don't think you really need two sub boxes, but the amps need to go somewhere anyway.

I would like to have all components just in two speaker's cabinets maybe I rather reconsider the speakers placement if it will be too much I will make or buy some speaker's stands and place them next to the desk. They will have to be near the rear wall also so it would be better something with front port.

If I send usb to spdif on the first Hypex and then from Hypex spdif out to the second amp... can I use just 1 IR receiver (in the first Hypex) for remote volume control or I have to control the sound separately?

Hi There,

New to this forum, and never built a set of speakers before. Just a question for the original poster whether you ever completed this project, and what route you ended up going? I am thinking about something similar in a 2-way speaker - essentially building my own version of a KEF LSX for my daughter. Any suggestions?

...or just buy active PA monitor at 1/2 the price...

:devily: advocate here :) In all likelihood, you could just buy a mid- or even entry-level "PA" active speaker/monitor (Behringer?) and get results as good or better and at much less than a DIY effort will cost. The only casualty will be your fragile ego :D

Hi,
I would like to build my first speakers (just to use some already working approach...not to invent new design). Is there some three way active speakers [...]

I am new to this

How about getting commercial speakers and tweaking them a bit?

Or commercial 2-way tops & DIY sub?

e.g. get a pair of 305s, add a pair of subs, and you have a 3 way.

JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors

Speakers somewhere between 35x20x20 - 50x30x30cm would be ok

Something this size?

JBL LSR308 Review

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.