Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Electrolytic bipolar capacitors in passive crossover?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2018, 05:56 AM   #1
sonyzz is offline sonyzz  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Question Electrolytic bipolar capacitors in passive crossover?

So recently i opened up bluetooth speaker (aiwa exos 9) since something was ratling inside after one year of use, it was the plastic posts im now fixing and reinforcing them, but what i discover that it uses fairly decent class D amps TPA3118 from texas instruments, one chip for mids and high and one for dual voice coil sub, but on the crossover for mids and high there is bipolar electrolytic caps they work ofcourse but do i need to replace them with something like plastic film caps or electrolytic is good in passive crossover? or if i want to change em with better brand like ''nichicon'' should i use low esr or just normal bipolar caps
Old 30th October 2018, 07:01 AM   #2
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

Replacing them with film could ruin the balance by increasing treble output. If you do try, just don't spend too much.
Old 30th October 2018, 07:47 AM   #3
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Leave parallel caps alone, unless you can measure ESR. Series caps are probably safe to replace.
Old 30th October 2018, 04:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
Replacing them with film could ruin the balance by increasing treble output. If you do try, just don't spend too much.
what if i replace them with better branded ones like nichicon or others?
Old 30th October 2018, 05:03 PM   #5
fatmarley is offline fatmarley  England
diyAudio Member

You could add a bit of resistance in series with a film cap - or if there's already a resistor in series, you could increase the value.
Is there just a single cap on the tweeter? Or something more complicated?
Old 30th October 2018, 05:29 PM   #6
asuslover is offline asuslover  Romania
diyAudio Member

I think I would try replace them, if you have space, use plastic ones , if not, then nichicon for speaker network are great. As the other ones tried to warn you is the fact that the sound might change a little bit , but who knows? maybe you will like it more .
Old 30th October 2018, 05:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
You could add a bit of resistance in series with a film cap - or if there's already a resistor in series, you could increase the value.
Is there just a single cap on the tweeter? Or something more complicated?
no its just 3 electrolytic caps and one long either resistor or inductor, cant see its value since its wrapped in heatshrink but, on pcb says L1 also does the wires matter or not cuz they dont look like copper wires 20awg or they are platted with something silverish color.... the caps say Yontex on them, on main pcb is STONE.... i know some very cheap speakers use one electrolytic cap on tweeter terminals, its not like that...fun fact caps are glued with hot glue on the bottom lol speaker inside - Zippyshare.com - IMG_20181018_193804.jpg it has acoustically sealed chambers for midrange drivers , crossover top view Zippyshare.com - IMG_20181030_164603.jpg , crossover bottom pcb tracks view - Zippyshare.com - IMG_20181030_164638.jpg top left wires go for tweeter, bottom left goes for midrange right side wires is input
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by sonyzz; 30th October 2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 30th October 2018, 07:48 PM   #8
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyzz View Post
no its just 3 electrolytic caps and one long either resistor or inductor, cant see its value since its wrapped in heatshrink but, on pcb says L1 also does the wires matter or not cuz they dont look like copper wires 20awg or they are platted with something silverish color.
L1 means it is an inductor (coil). The wires don't matter (they are tin plated copper).

P.S. There is no need to change crossover electrolytics unless they are VERY old.

You are very unlikely to hear any difference in doing so in this level of equipment.
Old 1st November 2018, 01:03 AM   #9
Phenoholic Anonymus is offline Phenoholic Anonymus
diyAudio Member

What a funky way to protect the internal wires! With all the foam around them. Never seen that before. Also i don't think these speakers are going to be transformed by putting in better / other caps.
Old 1st November 2018, 03:53 AM   #10
googlyone is online now googlyone  Australia
diyAudio Member

Leave the caps.

Have a swing at your own speakers, I guarantee you can do better

Electrolytic bipolar capacitors in passive crossover?Hide this!Advertise here!