Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Quick pointers for close range reference monitors build.
Quick pointers for close range reference monitors build.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th October 2018, 12:36 PM   #1
danb11 is offline danb11  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Quick pointers for close range reference monitors build.

I'm a producer and diy newbie looking to build my own in order to add value for money over off the shelf monitors. I produce electronic music, but also mix piano and string recordings.
I work in a narrow space and have my current monitors suspended from the ceiling about 45 in and down straight to my listening position. My budget is up to $1k. Will probably pair them with a tripath solid state amp, or something else reasonably cost effective.
Accuracy mixed with pleasantness is what I'm after. Some accurate monitors have proved fatiguing when listened to all day every day!
So I'm asking really for recommendations/links for further exploration. Passive/active? Open battle/closed. Full range/multi. 2 way/3 way? I have a carpenter friend to knock wood together.
Any other producers/engineers gone down this road? But what I've described is the goal of any audiophile I guess.
Thanks in advance.
Old 26th October 2018, 03:44 PM   #2
chris661 is offline chris661  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Dan,

I'm more in the live sound business, but do enough recording to need some decent monitors.
It's worth having a look at the Behringer B2031A monitors. Yes, I know, Behringer blah blah blah. Linkwitz (RIP) and Geddes were both impressed with them, and you can get them for a couple of hundred quid from the usual auction site. In terms of value-for-money, I don't think DIY can compete.

My current living room stereo (and occasional mixing monitors) are some Fostex FE126E (with Planet10 treatments) in a small passive-radiator box. They need some EQ, but they manage 50Hz upwards from a single cone which is rather useful.

Do you have a measurement setup?

I'd stay with a fairly conventional monitoring setup for mixing etc. Open baffles do some things right, but I'd want a LOT of acoustic treatment before I could mix on them.

Have a look here: Zaph|Audio
For some ideas on where you might go.

Chris

Quick pointers for close range reference monitors build.Hide this!Advertise here!