Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Horn Sensitivity calculation
Horn Sensitivity calculation
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2018, 11:07 PM   #1
Loudbass is offline Loudbass
diyAudio Member

Default Horn Sensitivity calculation

If we take a look at a driver datasheet here: Specification

We can see that it specifies a 114dB sensitivity for a 9075 CD horn. Does this mean that we can get up to 130dB of sensitivity in a narrow horn, like the 13 maltese horn?

The rule of thumb I'm using here is that for every halving of the horn radiation angle, we get a 3dB boost. Because the 13 horn has almost 1/40 the angle, it gets 16dB louder, thus the 130dB sensitivity.

Something is not right here! AFAIK no one has reached this SPL at 1 watt!
Old 26th October 2018, 04:19 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, a PWT is 0 deg and the driver is 118 dB/mW, so at 1W it's going to be 1000 times more = 118+30 = 148 dB in theory, so 13 deg will be somewhat less as you noted.

GM
Old 26th October 2018, 06:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I just can't believe the number!
Old 26th October 2018, 07:28 AM   #4
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

A 13 degree horn will be huge. If it must hold its pattern down to 1 kHz, it will have a mouth diameter of 2 meters. And then the length..
Old 26th October 2018, 08:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Nooo... Weltersys' Maltese horn has good specs at a relatively small footprint ( pics below). Also, It's easy to build and doesn't take too much time and stuff... I would love to build something that produces deafening sound levels with just a few milliwatts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maltese Horns.jpg (135.6 KB, 150 views)
Old 26th October 2018, 09:11 AM   #6
as_audio is offline as_audio
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Well, a PWT is 0 deg and the driver is 118 dB/mW, so at 1W it's going to be 1000 times more = 118+30 = 148 dB in theory, so 13 deg will be somewhat less as you noted.

GM
This is a typo, it must be 118dB/W.
Old 26th October 2018, 09:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

And another thing- I looked through other BMS products and noticed they have tested their bigger drivers (4599, as an example) using much more narrower 2040 horns...

If the 4540 could approach 130dB/w.m so easy why BMS didn't publish the amazing numbers as an advertisement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_audio View Post
This is a typo, it must be 118dB/W.
No I don't think so. This driver gives 114dB through a 90deg horn, 118dB/W is too low for its PWT, IMHO.
Old 26th October 2018, 10:39 AM   #8
as_audio is offline as_audio
diyAudio Member

Compare to the other BMS spec sheets.
Old 26th October 2018, 12:23 PM   #9
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudbass View Post
Nooo... Weltersys' Maltese horn has good specs at a relatively small footprint ( pics below). Also, It's easy to build and doesn't take too much time and stuff... I would love to build something that produces deafening sound levels with just a few milliwatts...
The horn mouths will only maintain the 13 degree pattern above 7 kHz, at lower frequencies the dispersion will widen.

The dispersion angle can be approximated by:
angle [deg] = 25400 [m*Hz*deg] / (horn width [m] * frequency [Hz])

Last edited by TBTL; 26th October 2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 26th October 2018, 10:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Interesting equation! It seems like the iron law for horn directivity but where does the constant number come from? And what about horn length and flare rate? Should I just go simple and assume the radiation angle is the same as horn angle?

And what is this angle exactly? Is it the -3dB angle or the -6dB or... I'm curious because at 2KHz the angle is still under 40 which is pretty impressive.

Also, this reminded me of hailing devices. I now looked among some of them and they were claiming strange specs like 30 directivity at 1KHz with a tiny hand held device. What is going on with them? That is soo far from what this formula suggests. The horn size of theirs sets them off orders of magnitude and exponential flare rates and EQ is of little help at this situation.

HS-10 (Bullhorn / Megaphone Replacement) | HyperSpike(R)

Horn Sensitivity calculationHide this!Advertise here!