Danley Studio One (more) affordable?

New "to me" is this teaser found on youtube:

YouTube

Nothing is posted on official Danley site yet, but this looks interesting for potential home use. In another video, they compare the SH60 and the SM60. What surprises me is that the SM60 is only 30% cheaper than the much, much more powerful SH60. Guess which I'd buy ? :D

vliaua0.jpg

A while back, I made a speaker where the tweeter had a waveguide and the woofer had a phase plug. The idea is that 'funneling' the output of the woofer through a phase plug should improve the polars. The reason that this is the case is because the surface of a woofer is fairly large. For instance, a 4" coaxial woofer has sound radiating as far as two inches from the tweeter. (Because the diameter of a 4" coaxial is two inches.) Because of that two inch gap, you are going to see issues with the polar response that begin around 2,250hz. (speed of sound, divided by distance, divided by three.)

So the addition of a phase plug should improve the polars, because it makes the loudspeaker behave as if the woofer is much smaller than it really is.

So... Does it work?

Wr42OCY.jpg

Here's the polars without the phase plug

hI59JeH.jpg

Here's the polars WITH the phase plug.

So, yes, it definitely works.

24TxmP3.jpg

hrLMTci.jpg

I have a hunch that the Danley speaker is doing something similar. Danley has long used coaxial woofers in his Synergy Horns, but he's never put a phase plug on the woofer, until now.

@Mark, very cool! I would love to hear that speaker. Were you able to listen on and off axis? Curious to hear more... Was it coupled with the sub?

I see they have the spec sheets up: Studio 1 | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.
and
Studio Sub | Danley Sound Labs, Inc.

Says linear phase and a 5" coax - I wonder their own custom driver, or off the shelf? I wonder how the Studio One and sub are integrated, do you know? Price?

Thanks,
Mitch
PS. Did you take any pics?

Hi Mitch,
No sorry, didn't take any picts other than the new J7.

Mike Hedden gave their presentation, and said the Studio One basically came in to being when they were exploring small install designs bigger than their Nano model.He said they measured it and said 'wow, we accidentally have a studio monitor here...near perfect mag and phase and goes all the way to 24kHz'...

I don't really know anything about the Studio One's engineering, driver, etc, past that. It might be that it's still undergoing a little further refinement, or there's an additional model in the works ...not sure if I heard that correctly, or not...

I heard the demo two times, first I was off axis in front of one side, and both sides sounded smooth with excellent detail. Second time, I was in the center of the demo room and the imaging was solid and sparkled. The little sub seemed perfectly integrated. Impressive :) Let's hope price is low enough to impress too Lol

For once, I don't have a clue what's in that box.

I can't imagine that Danley would sell a speaker with a dome tweeter, but I can't figure out how/why the efficiency is so low.

The obvious candidates for this box would be the BMS 5" coaxials, and the B&C 5" coaxials. Both have efficiencies of about 89dB in the midrange, so that rules them out.

IMG_20150128_094711.jpg

There are plenty of hifi coaxials with 84dB efficiency, but the Studio One sure *looks* like a prosound coax. Pictured above is the BMS 5C150L

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
For once, I don't have a clue what's in that box.

I can't imagine that Danley would sell a speaker with a dome tweeter, but I can't figure out how/why the efficiency is so low.

The obvious candidates for this box would be the BMS 5" coaxials, and the B&C 5" coaxials. Both have efficiencies of about 89dB in the midrange, so that rules them out.

No, that's (84dB) a perfectly reasonable spl if they do any bass and got a bit of a baffle step compensation.

Just thinking out loud here, with a guess on this design:

LEF0gXK.jpg

KVgIJAC.jpg

What if you took the Beyma 5CX200FE and you added a secondary flare to the "stock" horn that it includes?

And then what if you perforated the "stock" horn so that the output of the midrange is "tapped" into the horn via those holes?

It is similar to what I described in my previous post, but it doesn't require the fabrication of a waveguide. You basically take the "stock" waveguide and you Synergize it.

k39S0uv.png

Here's what the unfiltered response would look like. There's a big old peak in the midrange, but this can be eliminated with a filter. Basically this waveguide is providing some horn loading, but only down to 844Hz because of the very shallow depth. So you get a dramatic 'bump' in midrange output.

mZkwGB6.png

Here's my hornresp model

MSRP

This is a quote from Layer 8, the Danley distributer for Northern California and Northern Nevada. I presume this is for one unit, not a stereo pair. I will post if they tell me otherwize. I have asked for a chance to hear a pair because I expect to move one more time while I and my wife are able to live indpendently, and that move will probably be to a smaller place where my Altec 605Bs in Open Baffles above 18" open-backed box woofers will not longer make sense. I'll report new info as discovered.

"The new Danley Studio One-Studio Monitor MSRP is $1336.00. I’m told they are taking orders. Let me know if you are interested and I will find a Danley Dealer in your area."

Skip