Danley Studio One (more) affordable?

Mike Hedden's presentation at Infocomm referred to 'the smallest synergy horn' and the 'low pass filters' in the Studio 1. Possibly an alternative use of a phase plug so rather than extending and smoothing response this actually smooths and restricts response. Combined with the synergy phase smoothing crossover it would produce a phase and frequency smooth (flat) response without the need for DSP . Good design work from the starrt.

Patrick Bateman,
Correct me if I am wrong. MSRP:
Studio 1 $1600 for one speaker
Studio 2 $4400 for one speaker
You have to buy two speakers for stereo.
In the future, I am considering Studio 1. Did you get a chance to hear studio 1 with no sub? I have a small room and a small but great speaker would be ideal. You know a lot about speakers? Where does Studio 1 rank?

Patrick Bateman,
In the future, I am considering Studio 1. Did you get a chance to hear studio 1 with no sub? I have a small room and a small but great speaker would be ideal. You know a lot about speakers? Where does Studio 1 rank?

Ouch. That’s a lot more expensive than the JBL 705i + BSS BLU-50 (Studio One) or JBL 705p (Studio Two), and the JBL is probably a more capable speaker.

Patrick Bateman,

Ah, I wasn't aware they were selling both.

I only heard the Studio 2.

It's hard to give a proper review because we listened so briefly and we were having technical issues. I brought some CDs to audition, then realized that nobody has CD players in 2020 ;)

We wound up streaming some music over bluetooth but I wasn't familiar with the music (it was someone else's.)

Later in the day, I *did* manage to demo the SBH speakers with my own material and it sounded fan-tas-tic: Square Pegs

As you can imagine, visiting Danley Sound Labs was like visiting the Wizard of Oz for me, and I didn't want to waste too much of their time with my demos, so I kept it to a minimum.

Ouch. That’s a lot more expensive than the JBL 705i + BSS BLU-50 (Studio One) or JBL 705p (Studio Two), and the JBL is probably a more capable speaker.

I think the Studio 2 is a clever play.

Genelec_S360_01-fJjTtGsV20J2p9aALgj062vS4YWzU.m5.jpg

A Genelec S360 retails for $9000 a pair, and is designed for customers who want more output than Genelec's smaller speaker.

I can only speculate on Danley's marketing, but I have a hunch that it's designed to compete with speakers like the S360.

Basically the Studio 2 should offer comparable output, but a few features that exceed Genelec:

1) The Studio 2 is a point source design

2) The Studio 2 has the Danley Synergy Xover

3) The Studio 2 is made in America

4) The Studio 2 costs less

One of the things that impressed me about the Studio 2s is that they're built like a tank. Right now, my reference speakers are Yamaha DXR12s. For $1400 a pair, their performance is ridiculous.

But even at modest volume levels, as in "90db", you can feel vibrations coming from the plastic cabinet. And the woofer is potato quality.

The Yamaha is a great example of what you can do on a limited budget. Similar to how I feel about my Behringers, you get a LOT of loudspeaker for the money.

But even from the first note, the Studio 2s seemed more dynamic, and I think the cabinet plays a big role in this. Danley's cabinet maker is NOT cutting corners.

It should give Genelec a run for their money, IMHO.

I think the Studio 2 is a clever play.

Genelec_S360_01-fJjTtGsV20J2p9aALgj062vS4YWzU.m5.jpg

A Genelec S360 retails for $9000 a pair, and is designed for customers who want more output than Genelec's smaller speaker.

I can only speculate on Danley's marketing, but I have a hunch that it's designed to compete with speakers like the S360.

Basically the Studio 2 should offer comparable output, but a few features that exceed Genelec:

But...6.5” coax vs 10” 2-way.