Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Selling DIY speakers
Selling DIY speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Alex M is offline Alex M  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Selling DIY speakers

I hope that this is not perceived by the Mods as advertising - I have been deliberately sketchy with the details, as I am looking for advice, rather than specifically a sale.

I have got to the stage where I have a very nice pair of speakers (a Troels Gravesen design) sitting in my living room, my next DIY speaker project steadily gathering parts, and my previous design taking up valuable space in the garage. Before I start cutting wood for the new project, I need to get the old pair out of the house. I would prefer them to go somewhere they are appreciated, and am certainly not looking to make a profit - something around what I paid for the drivers would satisfy me. I did put an ad in the Swap Meet section here, but that cycles through so quickly the post got lost within a day.

Although there isn't much material value in the speakers, I put a lot of investment in time and energy into the cabinets (and I am at least a little proud of my handiwork), so I would prefer the speakers to go intact to a good home, where they might form the basis of a new DIY project. At a pinch, I could break them up and put the drivers on Ebay or a DIY classifieds site, but I don't have the original packaging for the drivers.

Does anyone (most relevantly in this case in the UK) have experience selling their own designs? I think if I tried to sell my Troels speakers they would go very quickly, since he is a well-known designer, but these of course are an unknown quantity. I do have a couple of webpages documenting the build, with measurements.

Any suggestions welcome!

Alex
Old 19th October 2018, 02:44 PM   #2
ILikeFoodz is offline ILikeFoodz  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm curious to see what people have to say about this too since I intend to do similar diy sales sometime in the future. The best ideas I've had are listing the full build on platforms like ebay or Craigslist, and also on enthusiast communities like the swap meet forum here. Curious to see what other brilliant suggestions people here have though!
Old 19th October 2018, 02:45 PM   #3
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Selling DIY speakers
Hi Alex,

All you need is a bigger garage . My solution is more systems. So my old monitors became the kitchen system. As and when the main speakers get upgraded I will put my Apogees to use as the surround channel.

Just looked at the Ad and those are very nice looking speakers. Sadly selling DIY cabinets is hard although you might be lucky on ebay.
Old 19th October 2018, 02:52 PM   #4
phase_accurate is offline phase_accurate
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All you need is a bigger garage
Not necessarily ! He may also sell his car and then there will be enpugh space for Speakers !

Regards

Charles
Old 19th October 2018, 02:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Selling DIY speakers
No it really is a very small garage
Old 19th October 2018, 03:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phase_accurate View Post
Not necessarily ! He may also sell his car and then there will be enpugh space for Speakers !

Regards

Charles
Unfortunately there has never been room in the garage for the car...

Alex
Old 19th October 2018, 03:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Hi Alex,
My solution is more systems. So my old monitors became the kitchen system. As and when the main speakers get upgraded I will put my Apogees to use as the surround channel.
Hi Bill,

There is already a system in the garage I didn't mention it because it consists of an old Marantz CDP and integrated from a charity shop with some cheap little Jamo shelf-mounted speakers - good enough for background listening when I am soldering, but not much more.

We had a guy in to fit a new bathroom at the beginning of this year, and he did ask my wife "why does your husband own so many speakers?". She didn't have the correct answer...

Alex

Last edited by Alex M; 19th October 2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 19th October 2018, 03:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Selling DIY speakers
I was stopped at a bathroom system!

I have approval for a centre channel install a well, but no time for that right now.
Old 19th October 2018, 04:43 PM   #9
Richidoo is offline Richidoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Don't sell your existing speakers until the new ones are finished and you decide they sound better. Gotta have music while you build!

Troels speakers are well regarded and popular so it will sell if the price is right. His DTQWT-12 is the only speaker I ever sold to recover all my cash. I gave away two and trashed 20+.

Unfortunately, your craftsmanship has little value on resale, so consider that a donation. Set the price equal to the lowest current price available for all the materials. Then add 10% for negotiation. Just aim to get your cash back. I think that's the best you can do with any DIY project, and only the most popular fad projects will allow that.
Old 19th October 2018, 04:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richidoo View Post
Don't sell your existing speakers until the new ones are finished and you decide they sound better. Gotta have music while you build!

Troels speakers are well regarded and popular so it will sell if the price is right. His DTQWT-12 is the only speaker I ever sold to recover all my cash. I gave away two and trashed 20+.

Unfortunately, your craftsmanship has little value on resale, so consider that a donation. Set the price equal to the lowest current price available for all the materials. Then add 10% for negotiation. Just aim to get your cash back. I think that's the best you can do with any DIY project, and only the most popular fad projects will allow that.
The thing is that I own two good pairs of speakers, and the ones I want to move out are the ones I designed myself, not the Troels design.

No, I'm not looking for any reward for my craftsmanship - I'm not even bothered about recouping my investment. I just can't bring myself to get the sledgehammer out yet...

Alex

Selling DIY speakersHide this!Advertise here!