Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Tweeter highs extension
Tweeter highs extension
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2018, 03:14 PM   #1
cimon33 is offline cimon33  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Tweeter highs extension

I want to have better highs extension with my Gersman Avantgarde. What is best: to change the tweeter speaker, (I have a Vifa, but I did not open the speaker yet) change the crossover tweeter components, change the internal speaker tweeter wire. the overall sound is very good, bass, mid, and good holographic presentation. I have already change the speake rbinding post with good improvement I have an audioresearch LS26 with no treble control. I only use CD and Turntable. Thank you
Old 19th October 2018, 04:56 PM   #2
cspieker is offline cspieker
diyAudio Member

That's a huge question. I would recommend the following steps. First listen with computer as source so you can apply some eq to the top end to see if you can get the results you desire with eq. If not, then a crossover tweak probably won't help much and a tweeter with higher performance might be needed. If eq solves it you can implement a digital eq solution like minidsp and get room correction as well, although many will argue if the conversion to digital affects the sound negatively. Changing the tweeter or crossover is a complex task.
Old 1st November 2018, 12:46 PM   #3
nipper1 is offline nipper1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimon33 View Post
I want to have better highs extension with my Gersman Avantgarde. What is best: to change the tweeter speaker, (I have a Vifa, but I did not open the speaker yet) change the crossover tweeter components, change the internal speaker tweeter wire. the overall sound is very good, bass, mid, and good holographic presentation. I have already change the speake rbinding post with good improvement I have an audioresearch LS26 with no treble control. I only use CD and Turntable. Thank you
Do you have hearing loss in the highest octaves? Is this the reason you are wanting to do this? In many cases, the tweeter has the highest sensitivity in a "typical" system and is therefore attenuated with an L-pad or just by resistance. If yours uses an L-pad, you can just try to remove it to increase the tweeter output. Don't do this with simple resistor networks as it would change the impedance the crossover network "sees". You could also add a top mounted super tweeter if you really need more than just a few extra dB of HF "boost".
Old 10th November 2018, 09:04 AM   #4
waxx is offline waxx  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I can't find any info on that speaker, but to change you first need to know what is the config and the specs before you can decide what to do to make it better.

It's probally better to start with the crossover like said before, as that is probally most influencal on the sound of such a speaker, especially on the higher frequencies. And if you change the tweeter, the crossover needs to be adapted as a crossover network is build for specific speakerdriver specs. Just swapping the tweeter is asking for problems.

What you can do without that, is buying a supertweeter, and use a dsp and a lot of patience and time to ad it on top of the existing speaker. But it will take time to get it right sounding without specs so the supertweeter blends in with the existing tweeter, and you will always have issues on phase and timing (2 different drivers in the same frequency spectrum).

But to do it right, you need to know wich drivers are used, with the t/s specs, and the schema of the crossover network with wich components (with specs) are used. And most commercial speaker builders don't give you that info as it is their trade secret.

in other words, it's better to sell them and get/build speakers that better fit your wishes. If you build it yourself, you can adapt easely untill you are happy.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:36 PM   #5
nipper1 is offline nipper1  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you done any hearing tests using a test CD or tones free online? I have great hearing loss above 10KHz so adding a super-tweeter on top was the best solution for me. As others have said, you can't simply swap a tweeter without knowing things like the crossover frequency and design, attenuator if there is one, original tweeter specs. especially the impedance in it's operating band etc.

Another test would be using a good set of headphones so you can have an alternate means of trying to determine if you are hearing identical high frequency losses. Of course, some headphones artificially boost the highest octave.
Old 10th November 2018, 03:25 PM   #6
Max Headroom is offline Max Headroom  Australia
diyAudio Member

Location: West Australia, near to the beach, natural ambient sounds mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimon33 View Post
First thing to do is to bypass tweeter crossover caps with low value (0.1uF) Polypropylene caps and additional Polystyrene caps in lower value.
Adding zobel network directly across the tweeter can paradoxically increase subjective top end extension.

Dan.
Old 10th November 2018, 04:35 PM   #7
JMFahey is online now JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Just thinking aloud: given the very high quality of those speakers, I doubt they fitted a tweeter lacking in performance or a poorly performing crossover.

Without seeing the response curve, I assume it to be very flat and extended.

And I find it very doubtful that by adding an unknown aftermarket tweeter , to boot without proper measuring equipment, an anechoic chamber, etc. , you can "improve" it.

Just being realistic.

Tweeter highs extensionHide this!Advertise here!