Tweeter highs extension

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want to have better highs extension with my Gersman Avantgarde. What is best: to change the tweeter speaker, (I have a Vifa, but I did not open the speaker yet) change the crossover tweeter components, change the internal speaker tweeter wire. the overall sound is very good, bass, mid, and good holographic presentation. I have already change the speake rbinding post with good improvement I have an audioresearch LS26 with no treble control. I only use CD and Turntable. Thank you

That's a huge question. I would recommend the following steps. First listen with computer as source so you can apply some eq to the top end to see if you can get the results you desire with eq. If not, then a crossover tweak probably won't help much and a tweeter with higher performance might be needed. If eq solves it you can implement a digital eq solution like minidsp and get room correction as well, although many will argue if the conversion to digital affects the sound negatively. Changing the tweeter or crossover is a complex task.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I want to have better highs extension with my Gersman Avantgarde. What is best: to change the tweeter speaker, (I have a Vifa, but I did not open the speaker yet) change the crossover tweeter components, change the internal speaker tweeter wire. the overall sound is very good, bass, mid, and good holographic presentation. I have already change the speake rbinding post with good improvement I have an audioresearch LS26 with no treble control. I only use CD and Turntable. Thank you

Do you have hearing loss in the highest octaves? Is this the reason you are wanting to do this? In many cases, the tweeter has the highest sensitivity in a "typical" system and is therefore attenuated with an L-pad or just by resistance. If yours uses an L-pad, you can just try to remove it to increase the tweeter output. Don't do this with simple resistor networks as it would change the impedance the crossover network "sees". You could also add a top mounted super tweeter if you really need more than just a few extra dB of HF "boost".

I can't find any info on that speaker, but to change you first need to know what is the config and the specs before you can decide what to do to make it better.

It's probally better to start with the crossover like said before, as that is probally most influencal on the sound of such a speaker, especially on the higher frequencies. And if you change the tweeter, the crossover needs to be adapted as a crossover network is build for specific speakerdriver specs. Just swapping the tweeter is asking for problems.

What you can do without that, is buying a supertweeter, and use a dsp and a lot of patience and time to ad it on top of the existing speaker. But it will take time to get it right sounding without specs so the supertweeter blends in with the existing tweeter, and you will always have issues on phase and timing (2 different drivers in the same frequency spectrum).

But to do it right, you need to know wich drivers are used, with the t/s specs, and the schema of the crossover network with wich components (with specs) are used. And most commercial speaker builders don't give you that info as it is their trade secret.

in other words, it's better to sell them and get/build speakers that better fit your wishes. If you build it yourself, you can adapt easely untill you are happy.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Have you done any hearing tests using a test CD or tones free online? I have great hearing loss above 10KHz so adding a super-tweeter on top was the best solution for me. As others have said, you can't simply swap a tweeter without knowing things like the crossover frequency and design, attenuator if there is one, original tweeter specs. especially the impedance in it's operating band etc.

Another test would be using a good set of headphones so you can have an alternate means of trying to determine if you are hearing identical high frequency losses. Of course, some headphones artificially boost the highest octave.

First thing to do is to bypass tweeter crossover caps with low value (0.1uF) Polypropylene caps and additional Polystyrene caps in lower value.
Adding zobel network directly across the tweeter can paradoxically increase subjective top end extension.

Dan.

Just thinking aloud: given the very high quality of those speakers, I doubt they fitted a tweeter lacking in performance or a poorly performing crossover.

Without seeing the response curve, I assume it to be very flat and extended.

And I find it very doubtful that by adding an unknown aftermarket tweeter , to boot without proper measuring equipment, an anechoic chamber, etc. , you can "improve" it.

Just being realistic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.