Which woofer ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This might be a weird question, but. Is there a difference between how the low end is experienced between a 6.5" and say 15" ? I am thinking that the 15" has a much larger surface are and so the energy is distributed over a larger area, and in so doing, the energy isn't as focused as with the 6.5" ?

If you are comparing a single 15" and a single 6.5" .... sure there is a difference ...

But if you have an amount of 6.5" woofers whith the same capability to move air volume (2 x Xmax x Sd) and with the exact same frequency response playing at the same level (SPL), and using the same kind og box with same tuning, there will be no difference

Im not sure its that simple - It was once explained to me about like this: If you make a blow with your fist in the air like 40cm, you wont push much air - It will mostly be pushed to the side along your arm and you hear maybe a little whistle. If you close a door the last few millimeters using the same amount of energy, you can feel it. It might also be compared with dumping a small heavy ball in water and a bigger ball the same weight. - The ripples will be very different. This guy was a tecnician and had an 18inch that was thrown out at his job. It was just laying on its back with no cabinet or baffle and served great as a subwoofer in his 3x3 meters room.

Its my experience that 12 inch or more sounds more right to me for some reason. Take my input with a grain of salt. I never did much critical comparing of speakers, and have limited experience in building and modifying speakers. I hope my post is not too misleading. Cheers!

Don´t think these are very good analogies.
Closing a door will change the dc pressure in the room for a brief moment until the air again is aligned with outside pressure as the room is normally not airtight.

In the subwoofer region the speaker will be omnidirectional, 6 inch or 15 inch no matter.

As I said if everything is equal it will sound the exact same ..... this is quite possible with modern dsp tech.
As for a 12" sounding more right ... well you would normally find a 12" mounted in a much bigger box than a 6.5" and normally 12" woofers are produced with T/S parameters which makes for a lot more deep bass than the usual 6.5" ... my point is that a few 6.5" speakers can be made to sound exactly the same.
I like the Reckhorn D165 as it has very nice T/S parameters for producing deep bass, but you will of course have to have a few if you want to play as loud as you can get say a 12" to do. The difference her is that you can keep a very narrow box if this is desired, mounting the woofers on front and back and have a balanced system with a more "quiet" box

One last piece of advise:

With your intended baffle width (around 8") your -3db point is around 275-300 Hz (..depending on how you load your mid-bass). Somewhere just below that would be a good "crossover" (acoustic transition) for your baffle compensation driver.

Anyway, good luck with your project! :)
If we use the 3 octave rule or 4 as a maximum, that puts the 10" at 160 or 320 Hz. But I want the 6-7" mid-woofer to take over at 100-150 Hz. In the end, the exact x-over point depend on the drivers and in part how things sound.

Super excited about this project - and thanks :)

As for a 12" sounding more right ... well you would normally find a 12" mounted in a much bigger box than a 6.5" and normally 12" woofers are produced with T/S parameters which makes for a lot more deep bass than the usual 6.5" ... my point is that a few 6.5" speakers can be made to sound exactly the same.
I like the Reckhorn D165 as it has very nice T/S parameters for producing deep bass, but you will of course have to have a few if you want to play as loud as you can get say a 12" to do. The difference her is that you can keep a very narrow box if this is desired, mounting the woofers on front and back and have a balanced system with a more "quiet" box
When it comes to SPL, its basic physics. This is down to Sd and xmax. But I have listened to loudspeakers using 3 x 7" vs 2 x 10" and while they might get close in terms of Sd, the experienced SPL is not the same. I think this is one of does weird areas of audio where physics and the subjective experience is not equal.

Which is better is down to the one listening, and it also depend on if a punchy experience is more important than the rumbling one, which I did mention in an earlier post :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.