Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2018, 02:57 AM   #1
Aaron75 is offline Aaron75
diyAudio Member

Default Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3ís problem

My previously pristine Aegis Evo 3’s that I’ve owned for 15 years may be goosed, I loved these so much I have two sets one for living room and one for spare gaming room.

I cranked up volume to max accidentally via remote app on my phone connected to a pioneer VSX1131,( no blooming fail safe. )

The speakers were Bi Amped so plenty of juice was going to them.

Anyway following the mishap the speakers became dull and no mids or highs, you can hear sound out of mid drivers and tweeter but there’s no clarity and the volume is significantly low. I double checked it wasn’t the amp by powering them through another Denon amp

Are they blown ? or is it likely to be the cross over or do I replace both cross overs and mids and tweets ?
Can cross overs become damaged ?

These are three way with 25mm soft silk ferro fluid dome tweeters (believe are Vifa AC25SG06-04. now obsolete)
130mm mid drivers 180mm bass drivers. If possible advice on off the shelf replacement upgrade drivers that will be a straight fit for the mid and tweeters, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Aaron75; 15th October 2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 16th October 2018, 10:09 AM   #2
giralfino is offline giralfino  Italy
diyAudio Member

You have to check if it's the driver or the crossover. Disconnect the drivers from the crossover and check the DC resistance, you should read somewhere 5-6 Ohm for a nominal 8 Ohm driver, you can check with the non blown speaker. Then connect the drivers without crossover at low volume to the amp (*) and compare the volume to the one produced by the bass, if it is in the same ballpark or even louder then you have some problem in the crossover. A photo of the crossover could show something.
Depending on the problem you found you can replace the failing element(s) with equivalent ones (if it is something in the crossover), or with original spare drivers.

Ralf

(*) You should use material without (heavy) bass, ideally a speech, a violin.
Old 17th October 2018, 11:23 PM   #3
Deceiver777 is offline Deceiver777
diyAudio Member

I have same trouble, AE usually connect they drivers with bad connection to the wire snd when loud sound give high pressure in enclosures, the connected wires just fall of from the drivers terminals, open up and check it first of all)

Hide this!Advertise here!