"Betriebsleistung"/"operating power":what does it mean?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys!;)
I've an old pair of Telefunken speakers.
On the rear label of the wooden cabinet, you can read the technical specs of the speaker in germany (of course).
There's this strange (at least to me!) technical specification that I never understood: "Betriebsleistung: 1 watt".
I used Google to translate it into english: in english, it would be "operating power"...but with another automatic translator, the translation would be "operational performance".
I don't understand what this expression means.
Surely it doesn't refer to the minum amplifier power, because there's also this specification on the label ("Empfohlene Verstärkerleistung: 6-30 Watt/Kanal).
So guys, could you tell me what this technical expression means?
Could it have some connection with the efficiency value of the speakers?...I don't understand!:confused::(:confused:
Thank you in advance for the help!
Best regards;)

Last edited:
I think this may be related to the old norm of specifying how many watt is needed to acheive 96dB/1m. Offcause this is directly related to, and a different way off, specifying sensitivity. In your case, since Operational Power is rated at 1W you have a speaker that is 96dB@1w/1m sensitive. Had the operational power been specified to be 2W, your speaker would be spec'ed 93dB/2.83/1m by today's norm.

....operational power according to DIN 45 500 (86 dB in 3 m distance)........

96dB@1 meter = 86.5 dB at 3 meters so not a huge difference between the DIN norm and the definition I found in my reference material.

See attached calculation from url]

Attachments

• spl vs distance.PNG
    spl vs distance.PNG
    61.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
If you post a photo, I can translate it for you.
"Empfohlene Verstärkerleistung: 6-30 Watt/Kanal" is
"recommended amplifier power: 6-30 watts/channel".

Thank you Georg...unfortunately I'ven't anypictures...but your translation is right...and I think you're right even about the SPL theory...I already thought their SPL were very high...above 93 or 94 dB!
According to the DIN45500 norm, a speaker (to be a real hi-fi stuff) must achieve 96 dB...yes, you're right...I've read that in an old hi-fi magazine.;)
Thank you for the help!
Regards:wave2::wave2::wave2:

Probably also the 20-20000 Hz rule had to be fulfilled

Fortunatley it didn't. ;) Otherwise veeeeeery few speakers of the 60ies and 70ies would have been able to fulfil the DIN norm for HiFi. Even today not many would pass either BTW.

I assume there´s an misunderstanding regarding the 96dB thing.
There was afair no specification for the efficiency of a speaker.
The 96dB figure related to the minimal maximum SPL the speaker should achieve.

I think we need to be a little more accurate here. There was the minimum SPL that had to be achieved in order to fulfil the norm as you mentioned. There was no minmal efficienciy value that had to be reached. I guess this is what you meant to say. But as already mentioned decent manufacturers published the "Betriebsleistung" of their speakers which is the power that is needed to reach a certain SPL value which made chosing amplifier/speaker pairings a Little easier.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.