Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Question on Linkwitz 521.4 Speaker Crossover Design
Question on Linkwitz 521.4 Speaker Crossover Design
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2018, 10:42 PM   #1
rb132333 is offline rb132333  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Question on Linkwitz 521.4 Speaker Crossover Design

I struggle with crossovers and I believe I am not alone. I constructed only a few passive and I would be completely lost without tools such as PCD (Thanks Jeff B!). I was re-reviewing Linkwitz 521.4 (God rest his soul) and I see that the bass is crossed over to low-mid (7") at 120 hz; the low-mid to mid (4") at 1K hz and the mid to tweeter at 7k hz. Based on my research about crossover design, a few general rules of thumb have been broken - 1) keep a single driver to 3 octaves or less and 2) crossover a driver before it begins beams. The mid in 521.4 breaks both of these rules, yet many listeners have given this speaker high ratings. Can some of the experts weigh in and explain why Linkwitz took this approach and why it seems to work well for him?
Old 11th October 2018, 11:06 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb
diyAudio Member

I’d venture to posit that the 521 breaks a few other “conventional rules” as well - or perhaps it’s better said define a new territory of marriage of acoustic and band-bass filter design not frequently gifted to the DIY comminuty. Judging from the positive reviews of those who’ve heard - or built them, I’d be inclined not to second guess them.

If you’re not already familiar, there’s a pretty healthy forum dedicated specifically to Siegfried’s designs. Could be helpful/informative to attempt to digest as much of the technical writings on the Linkwitz site, as well as to visit the OPLUG fora.
ORION/PLUTO/LX... Users Group • Index page
Old 12th October 2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Juhazi is offline Juhazi  Finland
diyAudio Member

Well, it is a dipole multiway and each driver plays only in it's comfort zone. Nice dipole radiation pattern up to lowpass and not too much eq and distortion near high pass. No easy way there!
Old 12th October 2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Draki is online now Draki  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

What they said.

One factual correction: the lowmid driver is in fact an 8-inch unit, not 7.

You could do worse that reading about its' spiritual twin, the NaO Note IIRS by John K.

Link: NaO Note II RS Details

Question on Linkwitz 521.4 Speaker Crossover DesignHide this!Advertise here!