Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

PE WP-5211 Poly Cone Buyout Drivers
PE WP-5211 Poly Cone Buyout Drivers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2018, 01:40 PM   #1
outfoxhyperion is offline outfoxhyperion
diyAudio Member

Default PE WP-5211 Poly Cone Buyout Drivers

Hey Guys,
So I bought a pair of these drivers on buyout about two years ago:
WP-5211 5-1/4" Poly Cone Foam Surround Woofer Pair 8 Ohms
I had them in a large sealed boombox, and they sounded fine, but I'm thinking about using them to build a bookshelf pair. I also had them in a somewhat underwhelming t-line (had to play them loud to get any kind of bass from them). I already have a workable crossover pairing these with some Dayton titanium dome tweeters, but I'm looking for box recommendations. I was thinking of going with a somewhat undersized ported enclosure (I'm thinking around 15L) tuned to around 60 Hz, any thoughts on that? I don't have FRD plots for this, so any simming is going to have to be base entirely on an "ideal" driver with these specs. I'm planning on using these as near-field PC speakers.
Old 11th October 2018, 03:18 PM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

With a 66 Hz Fs, the only way you're going to get any bass at low power is with a huge BLH, so realistically, ~66*1.56 = ~103 Hz in the mid-bass is ~where the 'bass' begins rolling off in earnest [~12 dB/octave] in a best power handling, but high Qtb/under damped, Vb = Vas/1.44 = ~6.15 L, Fb = 66 Hz.

Your alignment OTOH trades efficiency for BW, so isn't quite as under-damped with a bit more power handling below ~70 Hz, but sacrifices some power handling from well into the mid-band down to this point.

In a near-field app [< 1 m], either should play loud enough in stereo down to ~50 Hz/20 W where you'll probably need a hi-pass filter or EQ to protect them.

GM
Old 11th October 2018, 03:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the feedback, GM. That kind of reinforces what I was expecting, trading efficiency for BW. I'm not too concerned with efficiency in this case, as I don't expect levels to often go above 78 dB or so at 1m. As far as high pass goes, I run an EQ utility on my computer and usually have a 40 Hz HP filter, as previously I was running a pair of 3fe25 K'Nators. These WILL be doing gaming duty as well as music, though, so I expect transient spikes. That said, I'll probably end up running them on a 25 WPC lepai amp, so I expect I'll run into clipping before I run into thermal limitations on these drivers.
Old 11th October 2018, 03:26 PM   #4
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

You could equalize them to flat with DSP software on your pc, for example Equalizer APO. Extending low bass also is no problem. Then a closed box works fine and you could consider vented if you need a higher sound pressure level.

Last edited by TBTL; 11th October 2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11th October 2018, 03:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

As much as possible, I'd like to minimize the use of DSP and EQ, as for small speakers like these I find it squashes dynamic range in a way. Not bad for music, but not great for explosions.
Old 11th October 2018, 03:48 PM   #6
TBTL is offline TBTL  Germany
diyAudio Member

Do you boost above 0 dB? Some sound card drivers do not allow clipping but limit the levels instead. This softens loud parts --> compression.
Old 11th October 2018, 03:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That may be my issue. I usually try to normalize to 0 dB as the loudest, though, so I don't know...

PE WP-5211 Poly Cone Buyout DriversHide this!Advertise here!