PE WP-5211 Poly Cone Buyout Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys,
So I bought a pair of these drivers on buyout about two years ago:
WP-5211 5-1/4" Poly Cone Foam Surround Woofer Pair 8 Ohms
I had them in a large sealed boombox, and they sounded fine, but I'm thinking about using them to build a bookshelf pair. I also had them in a somewhat underwhelming t-line (had to play them loud to get any kind of bass from them). I already have a workable crossover pairing these with some Dayton titanium dome tweeters, but I'm looking for box recommendations. I was thinking of going with a somewhat undersized ported enclosure (I'm thinking around 15L) tuned to around 60 Hz, any thoughts on that? I don't have FRD plots for this, so any simming is going to have to be base entirely on an "ideal" driver with these specs. I'm planning on using these as near-field PC speakers.

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

With a 66 Hz Fs, the only way you're going to get any bass at low power is with a huge BLH, so realistically, ~66*1.56 = ~103 Hz in the mid-bass is ~where the 'bass' begins rolling off in earnest [~12 dB/octave] in a best power handling, but high Qtb/under damped, Vb = Vas/1.44 = ~6.15 L, Fb = 66 Hz.

Your alignment OTOH trades efficiency for BW, so isn't quite as under-damped with a bit more power handling below ~70 Hz, but sacrifices some power handling from well into the mid-band down to this point.

In a near-field app [< 1 m], either should play loud enough in stereo down to ~50 Hz/20 W where you'll probably need a hi-pass filter or EQ to protect them.

GM

Thanks for the feedback, GM. That kind of reinforces what I was expecting, trading efficiency for BW. I'm not too concerned with efficiency in this case, as I don't expect levels to often go above 78 dB or so at 1m. As far as high pass goes, I run an EQ utility on my computer and usually have a 40 Hz HP filter, as previously I was running a pair of 3fe25 K'Nators. These WILL be doing gaming duty as well as music, though, so I expect transient spikes. That said, I'll probably end up running them on a 25 WPC lepai amp, so I expect I'll run into clipping before I run into thermal limitations on these drivers.

You could equalize them to flat with DSP software on your pc, for example Equalizer APO. Extending low bass also is no problem. Then a closed box works fine and you could consider vented if you need a higher sound pressure level.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.