Midrange distortion on 15" PA driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That would be better way, but I would first need amplifier capable of doing that and hope neighbors won't kill me.
Maybe, when they are finished.

I do alot of testing outdoors in suburbia, and have found neighbors don't really care.
I think because lawnmowers, weed whackers, leaf blowers, etc...make even more SPL...or at least more annoying SPL.

One thing I've found that does help keep down testing annoyance, is to limit the freq range of the sine sweeps to no higher than needed...

It seems good, but I kinda expected it to be better, because all that surface area.
Unfortunately, increasing the size of the voicecoil (and therefore inductance), and lowering of cone breakup often negates the benefit of reduced excursion.

5-8" drivers are usually optimal from 200Hz-1kHz. Multiple drivers further lowers distortion and increases sensitivity at the expense of polar response.

I finally put them in box and measured outside. Now I'm even more confused.

Something really weird is happening from 100Hz to 300Hz. Distortion peak moves a bit when I reposition mic.
Anyone has any idea what this might be?

Attachments

• 20cm.png
    20cm.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 1m.png
    1m.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 2m.png
    2m.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 244
Yes it is vented. I did not try to stuff port.
Length is 30cm and diameter is 16cm.

Maybe port is not sturdy enough? It is PVC (sewage) pipe.
Maybe it was cable vibrating (I could hear it, if I did not hold it). Cable went through port. Maybe it was still vibrating inside?

Mic is not calibrated. It was definitely more than 60dB. Should have been more than 100dB. Box is 25mm birch plywood.

When I'm saying "Box resonance" I do not think about materials or stiffness etc. But the distances between surfaces and driver, and how they relate to eachother.
It's actual resonances inside the box that escape through the port, not a bracing or stiffness related issue.

Do you have internal and external dimensions/measurements of the box?

Edit:
It could be a cable vibrating, but I somehow doubt it. The distortion seems to stem from the squiggles centered around 170hz to my eyes, and it may correlate well with certain box dimensions (IE tall-ish box for 15").

Last edited:
It is a bit tallish. I didn't notice that dip, I thought it is reflection.
I think it is possible that it is second harmonic of box. When I simulated as MLTL it showed small dip at 210Hz.
Didn't know this also causes distortion.

Depth: 30cm (35cm external)
Width: 50cm (55cm external)
Height: 85cm (90cm external)

Driver is close to top (driver center is 60cm from bottom, I think). Port is 20cm from bottom on side.

Box is only lined with foam. I could stuff it.

Last edited:
I had to guess at some dimensions, and simming the box like you said, I see the resonance centered around 213hz.
But if you just for fun add 20cm just to see what happens if you move port away from bottom, you get a resonance centered at 174hz (ignore everything else, it's just for looking at what can come out of the port after bouncing around a bit).

Attachments

• Resonance.jpg
    Resonance.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 225
Personally I would go 3way.

Haven't used the TP150H myself as it is a wee bit beyond what I would pay for a tweeter but from everything many others posted who have used it it would seem that it clearly benefits from NOT being run to it's very limits.
With that in mind I would find me at a good 8 or 10 inch mid driver to go between TP and 15 and run it high enough to match dispersion which would be 1.6-2k at a quick guess. Beyma themselves make a rather good looking (on paper) 10" which matches the efficiency of the TP but it is certainly not cheap.

Beyma AMT has resonance on ~1.6kHz (there is distortion spike). Not good below 1.8kHz. I probably would not buy it again. I usualy buy cheaper stuff.

Maybe woofer can be used up to 2kHz, but it seems like abuse. Dispersion won't match. What do you guys think?
I was looking Beyma 8MC300Nd for midrange. It might even have slightly lower distortion in midrange.
There is also Beyma 8MI100 which is cheaper, but I'm woried because it is MI (musical instruments).

Hmmm...
If you're looking at Beyma and want an absolute perfect match for the TP150H then perhaps the new 6MCF200ND should be considered.
You'd be closing in on a fairly high performing 3-way pending on xo and amp choices.

Almost tempted to look at these things for myself, but I really don't need any more speakers...

Edit:
Or the 10MCF400ND

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.