TDL Studio 2 Crossover values

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe I should explain why I need these values. I have refurbished a pair of Studio 2's. The cabinets were in bad shape with scratches etc and the woofers needed realignment. All these were repaired and now they are in good condition. But the pair came without the tweeters (Elac 25DT units) and the crossover has an extra 22Ω/5W resistance in parallel (see attached pictures). The only plate tweeters I had in hand were a pair of Monacor's DT-250. These tweeters have a higher Fs (1700Hz instead of 750Hz) and a 90db sensitivity (instead of 87db). Monacor suggests that these cross at 3000Hz, which is the network's dividing frequency. The DT-250 sounds louder than the woofer.

I know that I should redesign the network but maybe someone who knows and understands a lot more than me about crossover networks can give me a piece of advice on what to do next. Shall I remove the 22Ω in parallel and replace with an L-pad? Maybe placing a 3.3Ω/5W in series with the tweeter will do the job for now?

Crossover images: TDL Studio 2 - Album on Imgur

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Your images are broken, but I managed to look at your IMGUR stuff.

I think this is a very competent two way with third order crossover with midbass impedance correction. But the details of exact values shouldn't matter too much if you don't have a multimeter with an inductance scale.

To attenuate a 6R tweeter about 3dB, just add a 5W 3.3R resistor at the tweeter filter input usually. It may or may not be totally accurate, but takes impedance UP, so can do no harm.

Usually every ohm you add at the input to an 8 ohm nominal tweeter takes loudness down 1dB. Simple as that. Hope it helps.

A little update: I took them to a fellow, professional diy'er where he measured the speakers. The 3R3 was a good addition but there was a rise in db from 5000 - 12000Hz that he brought down. If we leave aside a small bump around 2000Hz, almost a monitor...

Will post photos

I would assume the schematic is right on tweeter polarity. That big 15W hot-running 22R is probably in the bass section. I don't know what the small extra resistor is doing exactly. But polarity is often negative on 3kHz crossover from an 8" polycone bass.

You really have to trace each component to know what is going on. The small coil (0.3mH?) will be in the tweeter section, and the capacitors look like 2.2uF MKT. Bass coils are proably 1mH.

Images uploaded so this is some use to anyone else, even if we don't have a lot to go on here.

Attachments

• TDL Studio 2 Crossover.PNG
    TDL Studio 2 Crossover.PNG
    114.2 KB · Views: 116
  • TDL Studio 2 Components.JPG
    TDL Studio 2 Components.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 107
  • TDL Studio 2 Wiring Mirror Flipped.JPG
    TDL Studio 2 Wiring Mirror Flipped.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 102
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.