Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

DYI to Commercial Speaker "Upgrade"; or, What's my Labor Worth?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st October 2018, 11:24 PM   #1
JoeTele is offline JoeTele  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DYI to Commercial Speaker "Upgrade"; or, What's my Labor Worth?

I had my first experience with next-level audio quality when I built a vintage Mullard 3-watt tube mono amp about 2 years ago. I don't consider myself an audiophile but had been curious about tube hi-fi after having built several guitar amps. For the speaker, I built a bass reflex box with a $60 Fostex 4.5" full range driver (box and port tube specs included with the driver). The under $100 total cost seemed a good price for 93db efficiency. When I fired it up for the first time I was stunned at the immediacy/realism even within the set-up's obviously limited scope. Now, I'm going stereo with a rebuild of an early 60's tube console amp and want to consider all speaker options. I already have the matching driver and port tube to make a pair with my first Fostex box, but I'm also looking at commercial multi-way bookshelf speakers in the $200-250 per new speaker price point. My question is, could this price point yield a genuine step up in audio quality? I realize this is a very subjective question, but what I'm really getting at is what might might a speaker that is effectively my Fostex box in substance/quality cost in the Crutchfield catalog with a professional build, finish, and name? Would it potentially be an apples to apples comparison with those costing $200-250, and preference a matter of personal taste? Or is there still room for further overall wow-factor with a pro-built multi-way?

Thanks!

Joe
Old 1st October 2018, 11:46 PM   #2
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I doubt very much if a $500 pair of commercial speakers would compare favourably with two of your home built Fostex cabinets. Most of that $500 goes on the cabinets, crossovers and the markups of the manufacturer, wholesaler and retailer. In my opinion, two Fostex speakers in well built, home made cabinets will give better value for money as well as better performance.

Last edited by Galu; 1st October 2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 2nd October 2018, 01:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Good to know.

Thanks!

Joe
Old 2nd October 2018, 03:49 PM   #4
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

Joe, to be profitable at a retail location the speaker drivers may be no more than 10% of the total price.

If a speaker maker makes their own drivers, it can be less than that.

So use that as a guide.

I built speakers with $1,400 worth of drivers which you'll find in Gryphon and Wilson speakers, among others.

Best,

E
Old 2nd October 2018, 03:57 PM   #5
asuslover is offline asuslover  United States
diyAudio Member

Almost 2 years ago I bought 2 of the klipsch rp-250f for 170$/ each
from frys electronics. So less than 500$ , I find those little floor speakers just great, great sound and great deal.
Old 2nd October 2018, 04:53 PM   #6
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

There's no real correlation between parts cost and value, by the way.

Just because I spent $1,400 on drivers does not mean I ended up with anything worth listening to.

On the other hand, the value of knowing you put it together and that it sounds exactly like what you want is pretty priceless.
Old 2nd October 2018, 05:41 PM   #7
asuslover is offline asuslover  United States
diyAudio Member

You are absolutely right about everything about you just said.
Before buying the Klipsch I spent a lot of time and money for building my own cabinets. It went very well because I work in that field(carpentry) . But when it came to the drivers and crossover parts, it did not go well at all. The caps are not cheap, the Inductor Crossover Coils are not cheap and the drivers can get extremely expensive .
Indeed I dont get that type of DIY feeling with the Klipsch speakers . But I will upgrade the capacitors (btw those are all yellow MKT poliester 100v ) to polypropylene mkp 250-600v .
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:07 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Great info all around. I think for now I'll go ahead and make the Fostex pair, confident that they'll perform respectably for their class, size, type, etc. In the future, maybe some narrow floor-standing speakers with upgraded crossover components would be a worthy alternative, if only for the orientation and logistics of multiple drivers.

Thanks again!

Joe
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:34 PM   #9
WBS is offline WBS  United States
diyAudio Member

Joe, you also might want to check out parts express. They offer some nicely made boxes.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:32 PM   #10
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Joe- if I read the link correctly youíre looking at the FE 126En. This little guy benefits from a backloaded horn for best bass performance, so in a small vented box be prepared for a light couple of bottom octaves, which regardless of power on tap canít be cured by EQ without running into its excursion limitations. They will also exhibit a rather very forward presentation in the near field, particularly during the first few dozens -if not hundreds - of hours of play.

DYI to Commercial Speaker "Upgrade"; or, What's my Labor Worth?Hide this!Advertise here!