What does an Altec 604/ GPA sound like? Newbie question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I love of Japanese tube amps has lead me to learning about the Altec 604 (which seems to be a big deal in Japan to say the least) I’ve heard people sing it’s praises, being brought to tears from its sound. I also understand it needs a modern crossover to get the best out of it, and the GPA versions are really good as well...

But what I don’t really know is what is it’s sonic character? Is it laid back, more a vintage sound? Right now I have Zu Audio Druid V speakers driven by a Yamamoto a08 (45 based) SET. I really like the sound I have: it’s detailed and textured and very quick and light on its feet. It is perhaps a little lean at times if I had a complaint about it. I’m wondering if the Altec would be something entirely different or what I have now but much improved.

Any assistance and guidance appreciated!

Edit: I should point out that I listen to a wide variety of music, but taste is generally focused on 80s/ 90s/ contemporary indie and alternative. Lots of Radiohead etc.

Last edited:
The GPA 604 version prices have almost doubled from what they were a year ago or about. Kind of unobtainable for most folks now sadly. I think one unit with crossover was around $950 not long ago there, now they want $1792

Link: Altec Lansing GPA 604 604-8H Series III NEW | eBay

Anyhow if you don't get many responses here there is an Altec forum you can check out chock full of info and stuff.

Link: Altec User's Board

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Have been familiar with the 604 / 605 duplexes since the late 60's. Assuming, and these assumptions are very important, you have one of the better 604's (a whole post in itself) the woofer is in the proper enclosure, you are using a phase correct crossover and your front end feed is top notch, this series of speakers can really sing.

The standout performance characteristics are dynamics, mid range clarity and resolution, ability to play at live levels with just a few watts and the feeling you are hearing all there is to hear. A front row kind of presentation.

These are like a thoroughbred, with the correct care and feeding they have few peers. And are very unforgiving. They also require a bit of distance to completely integrate image wise. And are limited to about 42 Hz on the bottom end. You can force them to go lower, but the mid bass quality suffers. My $0.02 worth.

Have you every been in the first 5 rows of a 100 person Orchestra? With a large percussion and horn section? Then that’s what they sound like and feel like

Thats great! But do you realize how high you just set the bar? :D

The GPA 604 version prices have almost doubled ...
Cheers, Dave.

I heard they went up, but didnt realize they went up that far. If they are holding their own to 10K speakers then that isnt a terrible price.. I just wonder if maybe they are pushing the performance per dollar a bit in the wrong direction.

Ive read the GPA does best all the 604 variants, how true that is I of course don't know.

Have been familiar with the 604 / 605 duplexes since the late 60's....

John thats all great stuff, the Zus are very similar and I have a feeling that is part of the reason a lot of people don't like them. They respond to quality equipment, and if the front end isn't up to task, they will show it. They also don't do much of the "hifi" speaker tricks (mid bass bump, crazy tweeter) that sort of masks a lack of quality upstream.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've been around the Altec Coaxes for about 20 years less then John, but have always liked those coaxes. I've heard plenty other coax speakers, but none that sounded as real as the Altec/GPA

John lent me a pair of 604s that have been reworked by GPA. Dynamics for days! I had them in BIG boxes, and they were amazing. The crossover isn't too difficult as it's been explored and refined over the years. They are a driver you can live with for many, many years. Just make sure they have a big enough box.

I will never forget the sounds from Altec 17 box (with 604 driver) powered by a WE replica 300b amp and fed by a simple Philips CDP, in a basement of "Radio Center" shopping mall in Akihabara, Tokyo. I went in there to purchase some Hashimoto iron and small parts, instead I stayed in front of this small system, assembled to display some of the amps made upon these transformers, totally hypnotized and mesmerized. One of the sounds I will never forget.

Last edited:
another option to consider, the Audio Nirvana 15". It uses a whizzer instead of a separate horn tweeter but the end result is that it's also a kind of coaxial. I have never heard the Altec driver but I do have the AN 15 and like it. They only make the AlNiCo version these days but if you are cost conscious then look at the AN Super 12".

A Big'un - the Audio Nirvana Super 15

My audio nirvana super 15" 4 month review | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Also: Audio Nirvana 15" vs. Great Plains/Altec 604 help.. | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Last edited:
I happened to get Urei 813C from my neighbor a few years ago, which is another reincarnation of 604 made by JBL. I didn’t expect too much at first, but I still use it in our living room. More I use it, more I like it kind of speaker, so no wonder why it is still very popular.

I guess GPA version is not too different from mine due to ferrite magnet and horn shape. It sure has a horn speaker signature, which you may like or may not. Midrangey as many people say, but I consider its limited high /low frequency is not a bad point for this speaker. It’s very forgiving and musical. Detail would not be the strong point, it has rather thick vintage sound. Far from analytic. Urei has time aligned crossover, and I use some EQ to make the frequency response more flat in the room, and reduce somewhat slightly annoying frequency, but I don’t think crossover and EQ change the fundamental signature of this lovely speaker.

A speaker with a generous heart, in a word.

Last edited:
I've run my alnico 604B (with E cone) in a Karlson with N1500 style network - its the most vivid sound on Gary Karr's "The Spirit of Koussevitzky" I've heard - far far better than my K-horns with that instrument - it was also very nice on Hans Hotter's early Winterreise recording. IIRC, 604 were later dissed as studio monitors due to their directivity characteristics.

I don't know if 1600 milliwatts is enough power. I rather have at least 25 watts class A or higher class D/H/whatever

far far better than my K-horns with that instrument

Altec had a serious financial issues in 604-8K era. I guess some of the 8K we can hear today may have some kind of quality control issue.

During the late 70’s and into the early 80’s, Altec was experiencing significant quality control problems. At the time, Altec was headed towards bankruptcy and the eventual closure of the Anaheim facility. It resulted in such poor product consistency that UREI was rejecting as much as 95% of the incoming Altec drivers. UREI became an authorized Altec repair center just to ensure they would have enough stock on hand to build the 813. It led UREI to ultimately seek a replacement for the 604.

That's too bad as I guess the site is still having troubles unfortunately which probably has caused some to leave or not post so much anymore. Lots of good info there, and the site had many people with a wealth of knowledge in all things Altec/GPA at one time.

Sadly, while the new system was great for a short period it has since lapsed back to its super slow ways as of yesterday, so hope Todd is still working hard to move it. A pity as the new one was like posting here at first. :( Thankfully, the search feature, while slow, seems to be working fine, so worth being a member just for this treasure trove of info.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.