Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Looking for a euphoric mid-range driver - polymer driver?
Looking for a euphoric mid-range driver - polymer driver?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2018, 09:18 AM   #1
stretchneck is offline stretchneck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Looking for a euphoric mid-range driver - polymer driver?

Hi,

I'm pretty familiar with the properties of paper, kevlar, Alu and ceramic drivers - but how would a polymer driver compare? Any articles / links people can share?

My favorite mid range drivers are Spendor D series ('EP77' Polymer) and Harbeth which is also polymer I believe.

Which manufacturers are good for polymer mid range drivers?

I'm trying to avoid a dry sound, whilst maintaining a decent amount of detail - I am assuming that the acoustic properties and suspension of the driver will affect this. Just like Harbeth include for some reverberation in their cabinets, I think this might also be useful to me to have more of a rich, 'wet', creamy and non-fatiguing mid range.

Thanks

Last edited by stretchneck; 27th September 2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 27th September 2018, 09:29 AM   #2
marco_gea is offline marco_gea  Italy
diyAudio Member

In general terms, polymer diaphragms have excellent internal damping (benign break-up), but poor stiffness (loss of detail).
Metal diaphragms are the opposite.
Good ole paper cones are the goldilocks compromise, and still arguably the best choice most of the times. They can be improved further by the judicious addition of carbon fibres and other fancy 'additives'.
Old 27th September 2018, 09:33 AM   #3
scottjoplin is offline scottjoplin  Wales
diyAudio Member

Do you mean euphonic?
Old 27th September 2018, 11:50 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoplin View Post
Do you mean euphonic?
Both actually
Old 27th September 2018, 01:10 PM   #5
Richidoo is offline Richidoo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchneck View Post
Audio Technology makes very high quality drivers with plastic cones. Plastic cones are usually some variant of polyethylene, like plastic milk bottles.

The best speaker I've heard with plastic cones was the Peak Consult Zoltan, which uses a 5" Audio Technologies midrange driver and two 7" AT woofers. This speaker is extremely smooth and refined, but still adequately detailed and exciting. Very "Musical"

Personally, I do prefer the more lively and detailed sound of more rigid cones, but I could easily grow accustomed to the Zoltan. Harbeths and Spendors, however, are too laid back and boring for my taste. ymmv...
Old 27th September 2018, 01:20 PM   #6
CharlieLaub is offline CharlieLaub  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchneck View Post
Hi,

I'm pretty familiar with the properties of paper, kevlar, Alu and ceramic drivers - but how would a polymer driver compare? Any articles / links people can share?

My favorite mid range drivers are Spendor D series ('EP77' Polymer) and Harbeth which is also polymer I believe.

I'm trying to avoid a dry sound, whilst maintaining a decent amount of detail - I am assuming that the acoustic properties and suspension of the driver will affect this. Just like Harbeth include for some reverberation in their cabinets, I think this might also be useful to me to have more of a rich, 'wet', creamy and non-fatiguing mid range.

Thanks
Euphoria comes from drugs, not drivers... and a "rich, wet, creamy midrange"??? What drugs ARE you smoking, dude?

Learn how to properly design a loudspeaker and crossover, and what happens when you stick that in your listening space, and you will at least have a chance to find what you are seeking. HINT: it's not the cone material that is resulting in the severely colored reproduction from a particular loudspeaker!
Old 27th September 2018, 01:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richidoo View Post
Audio Technology makes very high quality drivers with plastic cones. Plastic cones are usually some variant of polyethylene, like plastic milk bottles.

The best speaker I've heard with plastic cones was the Peak Consult Zoltan, which uses a 5" Audio Technologies midrange driver and two 7" AT woofers. This speaker is extremely smooth and refined, but still adequately detailed and exciting. Very "Musical"

Personally, I do prefer the more lively and detailed sound of more rigid cones, but I could easily grow accustomed to the Zoltan. Harbeths and Spendors, however, are too laid back and boring for my taste. ymmv...
Thanks for the feedback - Audio Technologies sounds like a great match, decent pricing too.
Old 27th September 2018, 01:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
Euphoria comes from drugs, not drivers... and a "rich, wet, creamy midrange"??? What drugs ARE you smoking, dude?

Learn how to properly design a loudspeaker and crossover, and what happens when you stick that in your listening space, and you will at least have a chance to find what you are seeking. HINT: it's not the cone material that is resulting in the severely colored reproduction from a particular loudspeaker!
Caffeine free actually I have read a fair amount about loudspeaker design now, so I understand that the drivers are not the final outcome - but I'm just seeking to find out what is available.
Old 27th September 2018, 01:32 PM   #9
lowmass is offline lowmass  United States
diyAudio Member

"Learn how to properly design a loudspeaker and crossover, and what happens when you stick that in your listening space, and you will at least have a chance to find what you are seeking. HINT: it's not the cone material that is resulting in the severely colored reproduction from a particular loudspeaker!"

This

Almost ANY speaker driver will tend to do at least some range of freqs well, and the way the system disperses energy into space can make good drivers sound colored. learning to work WITH the driver (crossover finesse) will yeald far more sonic benefit than trying to squeeze some highly regarded driver into use beyond its ability.

Last edited by lowmass; 27th September 2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 27th September 2018, 01:33 PM   #10
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
Euphoria comes from drugs, not drivers... !
That came to my mind also very instantaneously, and I was about suggesting to him to coat his diaphragms with opium latex...
Best regards!

Looking for a euphoric mid-range driver - polymer driver?Hide this!Advertise here!