Small footprint corner speakers with High SPL capabilities

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello chaps,

I wish to build front speakers with a small footprint for corner placement. Dont have the patience/time or skills to design it myself so Im looking for a “proven” design.

Room dimentions width x lenght x hight
16 feet x 20 feet x 15 feet

My tall order would be:
Designed for corner placement.
Width is no more than 25”.
High is no issue with 15 foot ceiling.
Dept, speaker must not protrude more than 9” into the room, it is possible to build cabinet into the wall(max is 8” into wall).
Budget below 2000usd for drivers and crossover.
Xover and eq, any Or no xover goes, eq if needed.

I have 4 jbl 2225h and 2 jbl 2440 drivers on my shelf collecting dust, so it woudnt make me unhappy if a design uses any of them. But its no

I Will ad subs/bass speakers(flat to 30hz at reference level is needed, lower hz welcome But not a requirement)
Multi subs is possible in my room, flanking subs are hard as only possible position in the same “Line” as the speakers would be in the ceiling 15 feet up.

My searches hasnt provided me with alot of options

Murphy corner Line array

Bill fitzmaurice tlah

Any thoughts on the 2 options and Any Other options that i havent found?

Best regards and Sorry for the long post

Ben

Last edited:
GOAL: High SPL Point-Source Illusion from 90-degree corner triangle speakers

WTW using your four JBL 2225h woofers in tall ported triangle volume, and a 8" deep SEOS-24 waveguide + 3.7" deep BMS 4594ND coaxial compression driver - crossover 500Hz and 6,500Hz. About $850 for 4594ND + SEOS-24. The SEOS waveguides has 90H x 40V polar pattern, and is shorter than the common horn profiles. Contact diysoundgroup.com to find out if they still have/get SEOS-24 waveguides($230)

I have not seen a proven design you can direct-copy, but a 500Hz LR4/LR4 crossover to the JBL 2225h and BMS 4594Nd could come from bi-amping, or passive parts.
===========
If you can accept a deeper cabinet ~24" total, you can find a 500Hz horn(~17" deep JBL 2350) for your 2" JBL 2440(~5.5" deep) compression drivers and add a 8,000-20kHz super tweeter.

Attachments

• WTW  BMS 4594Nd.jpg
    WTW BMS 4594Nd.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 450
Hey guys,

Thx for answering :),

Line source, i have never heard a Line source Other than at Big concerts so i dont really Know What to expect.

Point source, like the Sound of Big drivers and horns.

Yes i have considered the pi7 cornerhorn, its one of the speakers that draw me most. But its way to Deep and it cant be build into Walls as the woofer is firing into the corner.

Jbl 2350 is a Nice horn, i guess i could live with the driver itself having a box on the outside Wall so i that i could accept horn n driver depth, But its 32 inches wide So i dont have room for it.

I Will look into horn that Will be usable with my jbl 2440 drivers.

Still open to suggestions :D

Best regards

Ben

How about a Unity or Synergy clone? There are some that have been built for corners. Look at Danley & co. to get an idea of what is possible. While it would be a bit too deep for your specs, and would prevent you the "fun" (?) of DIY, consider the Yorkville Unity U15. They cost roughly $1000 each. I lucked upon a used pair of U15 a couple years ago, have converted them to active EQ, and am quite happy with them (excepting appearance!!!) :D

Thx for the answers,

Went by the (build site, we are diy building a small summer home In our sparetime) with a 15” jbl 2225 driver in hand to check out angles and such. Neither pi7 in its original form, or with bass driver turne around(driver facing into room) and build into Wall. There is just no Way i Can fit a 15” at an angle so it Can be a corner speaker.

The york speaker falls in same catagorie of doesnt fit.

So Im back to looking into Line arrays i guess.

Best regards

Ben

There is just no Way i Can fit a 15” at an angle so it Can be a corner speaker.
Best "small corner" high sound quality design I could think of today.

WW-TM-WW using W = 8" diameter drivers less than 5" deep, built into a tall corner-triangle ported cabinet.

W = 8" SB_Acoustics woofer SB23NBACS45-6 (1x = $109.45) Madisound
T = Beyma TPL_150 AMT ( $340) USSPEAKER.com
M= 8" Faital 8PR200-8 ($195) USSpeaker.com PartsExpress
--------------
Estimate $973 for 6 drivers WW-TM-WW
Substituting 8" Dayton RS225A-8 woofers (4x = $218.67) reduces price to $754

Attachments

• TPL_150.JPG
    TPL_150.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 256
  • Faital 8PR200.JPG
    Faital 8PR200.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 256
  • SB23NBACS45-8.JPG
    SB23NBACS45-8.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 254
These line arrays need EQ, no way around that.
Review a couple full range linearray builds to understand the complex DSP equalization that is required.
==========
A good WW-TM-WW design can approach a corner point source.

The controlled directivity treble from the TPL-150 is CLEAN... CLEAN... CLEAN
The coherence from a single Faital 8PR200 midwoofer is HONEST... HONEST... HONEST
The bass from four equalized 8" woofers is DYNAMIC... DYNAMIC... DYMANIC

The Beyma TPL-150 tweeter is a perfect 5.6ohm resistor, which simplifies the T-M passive crossover.

If you Bi-Amp between the TM and woofers, the crossover gets easier to adjust to your room.

"small corner" high sound quality design

Attachments

• WW_TM_WW Biamp.JPG
    WW_TM_WW Biamp.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 128
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.