Recommended Already-Built Near-Field Speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

A question that is going to be somewhat a taboo in a DIY forum..

Can you guys recommend 3 Speakers for Near Field (will be connected to a computer), that are already built, and have a really good sound?

It should be 2.0, and it can be either Amplified or Non-Amplified,
The desired cost is upto 300-400$..

The most important part from them, naturally, is the sound quality.

They are going to be used for listening to music (mainly melodic),
so I want them to sound the best possible, within this price range.

A small note:
I think I prefer larger diameter speakers,
since I like less the high frequencies, and like more the mid and lows..

(can a 6.5" driver be good for near field? even when listening in moderate volumes?)

Can you please recommend the best you know from your experience?

Thank you

Last edited:
Most budget near field monitors will do what you ask and do it well.

Have a look at JBl Lsr302, Yamaha hs5/7. There are many more in that price bracket.

Note that these are monitors intended as a tool for critical listening, and as such may not sound exactly the way you like. Many of them have the possibility to do crude adjustments to treble/bass balance to suit the room they’re in.

I personally like the sound of my hs7’s but ofc ymmv.

Thank you silasmellor

Have a look at JBl Lsr302, Yamaha hs5/7.
302? Did you mean LSR305?

I personally like the sound of my hs7’s but ofc ymmv.
I heard the HS7 in a store, indeed they sound wonderful and can get to lower bass frequencies than other monitors..

BTW, If we mention monitors, what is your opinion about Behringer MS40?
Obviously the MS40 cannot be compared to the HS7, since the HS7 is 6.5" and MS40 is 5" (4.75" to be exact),
but maybe to the HS5?

Last edited:
Yes, lsr305 sorry. Those have been around for a long time and get consistent positive reviews.

If you have the chance to listen to them that will be much more useful than any on paper comparison. The hs5 will not go as low as the 7 but how much the lack of low end extension matters is subjective.

I have the requisite 30 year old Yamaha NS-10M Studio monitors on my desk. They have followed me around for 30 years and have become my frame of reference. Several other speakers have shared the desk with the Yamahas, some DIY, others bargain finds.

About a year ago I bought a pair of iLOUD Micro Monitors. I was immediately surprised by their sound quality which is far beyond their size. Within their SPL limitations they have far deeper and more solid bass than the Yamahas. All of this comes from a small box the size of some computer speakers, containing a two way system with DSP and bi-amping. People who have heard them usually ask, "where's the subwoofer." UH, there is none.

The little 3 inch woofer can only put out so much bass, so you can't expect concert level SPL out of these but they are plenty loud for near field use, even in my 2000 square foot basement. I usually listen to EDM or techno at about half volume and I have bad hearing. It takes about 3/4 volume on the same music to blink the clipping indicator.

IK Multimedia | iLoud Micro Monitor — ultra-compact, high quality reference studio monitors

My son has the HS7’s and they are very good. Very flat response so plays good recordings very well but bad ones sound ........bad.

If you can go second hand the Mackie HR624 are probably in range. I have the HR824 mk1 and they have all the benefits of a monitor but are a little more musical.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with having a pair of known reference speakers, especially if you are building your own and want to make comparisons. In fact, if you are doing any diy builds, it is vital to have a speaker that is accurate. (read up on Floyd Toole's "circle of confusion" that pinpoints the source of many an AudioPhool's misery and upgradetisis)

I currently have a pair of JBL LSR 308's and will be upgrading to JBL LSR 708P's soon. The 308's may be too large as near-fields in a small room but the 305's will work well in that case. The Kali Audio LP-6 is also a bargain at the price and with Charles Sprinkle's design input is likely to be a good contender. Kali haven't put out a spinorama as yet but this is a speaker worth investigating.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.