JBL 2482

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I am going to start building this multicellular pavilion for a home system:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/136964-construction-multicell-horn.html

It will run from 500 to 3500 Hz. I am still undecided on the choice of 2 inch compression engine. I'm thinking of BMS 4591. I found on occasion a JBL 2482 at $ 1400 with a phenolic diagram. I do not have experience in compression engines. This JBL is it a good deal and what do you think of the sound of this 2482?
Thank you in advance for your advice.

Currently I’m using JBL 2482 with my Sato Horn and it sounds great with my 300hz passive crossover. If you are willing to pay for that price, 100% I’m sure that you will not regret it.
Thank you for your reply :)

I think they will sound very similar. In this frequency range, the membrane moves like a piston anyway. Pick your choise.
Thank you for the feedback. If they will sound very similar, the choice is made on the BMS because of the price !!

I suggest to do some research regarding the diapraghm material before you decide, polyester vs phenolic [emoji106]

IMG_1639.JPG

I suggest to do some research regarding the diapraghm material before you decide, polyester vs phenolic [emoji106]

View attachment 704747
Not easy to find something. I find a lot "phenolic vs titanium", if you know a url thank you for giving it to me. The price is still very dissuasive, about $ 640 for the bms and $ 1200 for the jbl. If the two sound similar, I can accept that the bms is slightly worse than the 2482 :)

I found this interesting on the forum:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/171847-klispch-jbl-titanium-compression-drivers-2.html#post2272335 :

Those who'ver never used or taken a look at BMS (insane SPL, range beyond 20Khz in some models, etc) compression drivers, please do so (Polyester diaphragms), I feel this brand (among others) has advanced the most in this field, the vintage cd stuff from JBL, Klipsch etc that brings in big bucks isn't that interesting sound or constructionwise compared to this, next, generation imo.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.