Open Source "Tower XL"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi pcgab,

last questions about woodwork:

how many watts has your router?
the circle guide is an accessory sold separately? how much it cost?

The router is 1678 watts / 2.25 hp. It's the Bosch 1617 EVSPK I believe. Personally I have the MRC23EVSK, which is also an excellent router.

The circle jig looks like a Jasper circle jig, works very well. Not 100% sure which model pcgab has :)

mbrennwa, generally I have found that larger shank router bits will result in a better cut, but good results can be achieved with smaller ones as well as we can see from pcgab's excellent work here. The most important thing equipment-wise is to buy a high quality bit in my opinion, and to make sure you're using it properly (correct speed on your router, which I determine with scrap and trial and error). Personally, all my bits are Whiteside and CMT. I prefer the Whiteside ones slightly because I find I get somewhat better/cleaner cuts with them.

The router is 1678 watts / 2.25 hp. It's the Bosch 1617 EVSPK I believe. Personally I have the MRC23EVSK, which is also an excellent router.

The circle jig looks like a Jasper circle jig, works very well. Not 100% sure which model pcgab has :)

mbrennwa, generally I have found that larger shank router bits will result in a better cut, but good results can be achieved with smaller ones as well as we can see from pcgab's excellent work here. The most important thing equipment-wise is to buy a high quality bit in my opinion, and to make sure you're using it properly (correct speed on your router, which I determine with scrap and trial and error). Personally, all my bits are Whiteside and CMT. I prefer the Whiteside ones slightly because I find I get somewhat better/cleaner cuts with them.

The bit I used to cut those is Whiteside, they make great bits.

Pretty sure that's the model router I have, and it is a Jasper circle jig. 'Jasper 200J Model 200 Circle Cutting Jig for Plunge Router'

I used that bit, a 1/4" cutting diameter bit because it was recently sharpened and it is a spiral down cut, which tends to leave the top face a bit cleaner. When I'm cutting work material that's clamped to a sacrificial top on my bench, I prefer the spiral down cut bit. This generally allows the cuts to be executed so that both end up with clean edges.

Cheers,
Gable

Why don't you use a larger router bit and do it in one pass? Do the small bits have any advantage over the large ones?

They don't have any real advantage in this use case. It was simply what I had available that was sharpest. For a small recess like this, 16-18mm IIRC, it only takes a minute or so to make multiple passes, so it's not terribly inconvenient.

Cheers,
Gable

I recieved the other HF107 over the weekend, it has been shipped in different packages but the guys at speakerdirect were very helpful.
HF107 looks very well built as you would expect from Faital, it is a big CD and has some weight to it, I dont have my DATS with me at the moment, but we will do some measurements soon.
what was more impressive was build quiality of STH100, solid aluminum piece (casted of course) looks heavy duty, I will post some pics ;)

pics

Attachments

• _DSC7204.jpg
    _DSC7204.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 481
  • _DSC7213.jpg
    _DSC7213.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 472
  • _DSC7214.jpg
    _DSC7214.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 457
  • _DSC7217.jpg
    _DSC7217.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 449
  • _DSC7221.jpg
    _DSC7221.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 439
  • _DSC7223.jpg
    _DSC7223.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 141
  • _DSC7227.jpg
    _DSC7227.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 144
  • _DSC7228.jpg
    _DSC7228.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 173
I recieved the other HF107 over the weekend, it has been shipped in different packages but the guys at speakerdirect were very helpful.
HF107 looks very well built as you would expect from Faital, it is a big CD and has some weight to it, I dont have my DATS with me at the moment, but we will do some measurements soon.
what was more impressive was build quiality of STH100, solid aluminum piece (casted of course) looks heavy duty, I will post some pics ;)

Sorry for the delay on the 1pc. Yeah. Those horns are beauties! Oh yes, and its SpeakerAddict 😎

Check out the top end on the new hf111

FaitalPRO | HF Drivers | HF111

Also, we can work out a group buy on the drivers for the project if many people want to build some. Just brought in a couple pallets of mylar caps, air core coils and resistors as well

Resurrection

Hello everybody.

Sorry for long delay, was busy with life.
Finally after some time I manage to get the boards cut for prototype cabinet.
and hopefully will start putting it together soon and little by little.

stay tuned :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4485.jpg
    IMG_4485.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 471
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.