Open Source "Tower XL"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You can always machine the WG148 to make it work on a 1-1/8 dome. The trick is to make it fit such that the throat mounts flush where the surround is fixed on the driver, and that there are no leaks between the throat and the driver. This is easier with some drivers (Seas?), but tricky with others (Scans?).

How about the Omnes T25H tweeter?

about the T25H, TBH I do not trust anything priced that low, I m trying not to spent anoth 1000$ just on tweeters but also not gonna match AE drivers with a 20$ tweeter :D

Hi Aatto,
You also have Monacor WG 300 and Seos offerings from Diysoundgroup as other readily available choices. I used the Monacor waveguide with SS D2604/83300 with minimal modifications to make it a more solid piece. The SEOS WG looks like they are well made units that may work in certain situations/applications.

Best,
Rich

I forgot about the WG300, yes that too, Seos also looks interesting. I m not sure but I think Paul did some sims with it as well, might be wrong have to check.

Market law, if a company don't support your consumer the products shouldn't be bought. This is the way to gives as a message that we are dissatisfied. Next, the AE driver could be removed as option.

The headache may worth when there is no options, but it's not the case.

lesson learned ! With John, the man behind AE replying to this thread I thought at least he would try to push it since a lot of people is following this thread and it would be nice to have an AE kit but... yup lesson learned, if I could cancel the order and go with Faital version, I would !

I think having one tweeter option would make things easier for choosing a waveguide. we might be able to get some WGs, test them and compare the results.

That said, I suggest to pick up a tweeter first, now with 4 ohm included, we have quite few options, I think TW29DN-B and TW29RN-B are good candidates as well.

I m still like to see if anyone has any shallow horn+cd suggestion as well, you never know !

I came across this : Morel ET 338 1-1/8" Soft Dome Tweeter Matched Pair

this is something worth taking a look:
Wavecor TW030WA11

Visaton WG 148 and maybe Wg 220x150, looks like the only options for "readily available", is it too small for 8" mid ?

The Wavecor TW030AW11 is the same type of tweeter as the Morel Cat 378. Compared with a Monacor or Visaton waveguide they are less directional around 2 kHz and more directional around 10kHz, because of the waveguide different dimension and shape. I don’t like so much. Directivity is more constant for the Monacor-Visaton.

In the plots DI of AE TD8M (grey) compared with Monacor WG300 (red) and Wavecor TW030AW11 (blue).
Also a SPL off axis 15-30-45 degrees comparison between Monacor WG300 (colors) and Wavecor TW030AW11 (grey).

To combine with AE TD8M, the tweeter should have a waveguide IMO, so Morel ET338 is not so recommended.

Visaton WG220x150 is an option but a more complex behavior with the different horizontal and vertical dispersion. Maybe try out a round waveguide at first?

In general, IMO, for a dome tweeter a Monacor WG300 ar Visaton WG148 alike type is most recommended. For a CD tweeter the directivity will become higher around 2 kHz but it will be more flat up to 10 kHz, the speaker will be more directional.

Attachments

• DI 0-45deg AE TD8M - Monacor WG300 - Wavecor TW030AW11.JPG
    DI 0-45deg AE TD8M - Monacor WG300 - Wavecor TW030AW11.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 290
  • SPL 0-15-30-45deg Monacor WG300 vs. Wavecor TW030AW11.JPG
    SPL 0-15-30-45deg Monacor WG300 vs. Wavecor TW030AW11.JPG
    225.7 KB · Views: 291
Thanks Paul for detailed answer. either way works ( Dome+WG or cd+horn) then.
I hope I either get the divers soon so we can move on.
this JBL m2 horn looks very interesting, it would be nice if we could find something like this :D
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1343656-fs-jbl-jbl-m2-horn-lenses-5025594.jpg
    1343656-fs-jbl-jbl-m2-horn-lenses-5025594.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 387
Why would you not be able to cancel? You placed the order, but did not receive the items within the time frame they indicated. Tell them to cancel the order. Done.

well they certainly didn't made it easy, this is copy/paste from AE website :

"Cancelation Policy
As all drivers are custom built to order, sales are considered final once an order has been paid for. After this point we cannot allow cancelation on our custom made drivers. We will be happy to spend the time with you prior to your order being placed to guarantee you are getting exactly what you need for your application to prevent the need for any changes. Occasional long delays caused by issues beyond the control of Acoustic Elegance such as parts supply issues do not constitute ability to cancel an order once paid for. Please be aware of this prior to purchasing."

I will wait a little more then I see what I can do. transaction was through paypal so maybe I can do something there, it's not gonna be easy tho. also based on AE website they already had the TD8Ms ready to ship !

Last edited:
For an 8" midwoofer, the $28 SEOS-10 waveguide with the $63 Peerless 1.75" DFM-2544R00-08 compression driver would get positive votes.

Parts Express sells a $15 copy of the SEOS12 with screw-in, and the $35 Selenium D220Ti-OMF-8 1" compression driver screw-in would be the lowest cost good CD option. The EconoWave work has proven crossover ckts.

well they certainly didn't made it easy, this is copy/paste from AE website :

"Cancelation Policy
As all drivers are custom built to order, sales are considered final once an order has been paid for. After this point we cannot allow cancelation on our custom made drivers. We will be happy to spend the time with you prior to your order being placed to guarantee you are getting exactly what you need for your application to prevent the need for any changes. Occasional long delays caused by issues beyond the control of Acoustic Elegance such as parts supply issues do not constitute ability to cancel an order once paid for. Please be aware of this prior to purchasing."

I will wait a little more then I see what I can do. transaction was through paypal so maybe I can do something there, it's not gonna be easy tho. also based on AE website they already had the TD8Ms ready to ship !

Your last sentence is the key! They said it was ready to ship, and this is part of the deal. They did not play according to that deal. You are allowed to cancel that order. In addition, I doubt their "cancellation policy" is "waterproof" (that's how we say in German, not sure about the English term).

Since you've payed via PayPal, you are protected by the PayPal rules. Just inform AE that you are cancelling the order because they did not ship the items you ordered, and which were ready to ship at the time of your order. Also mention that this situation has been discussed on diyAudio. Then ask for a refund via PayPal. If they are a reputable company, they will send the refund with no questions asked, because they did not follow the deal you had with them, and because they want the diyAudio community to know that AE are nice guys who don't steal the money of their customers without giving them what they payed for.

Edit: just as an example, I will return the DAS 12P woofers I got for the Monkey Coffin. The TSP were not as specified in the datasheet. I informed DAS about this and asked if they were able to provide new units with the correct parameters. They said the parameters are as they are and they "can't change it". They suggested to return the drivers and offered a full refund. They are honest guys who stand behind their business.

Last edited:
For an 8" midwoofer, the $28 SEOS-10 waveguide with the $63 Peerless 1.75" DFM-2544R00-08 compression driver would get positive votes.

Parts Express sells a $15 copy of the SEOS12 with screw-in, and the $35 Selenium D220Ti-OMF-8 1" compression driver screw-in would be the lowest cost good CD option. The EconoWave work has proven crossover ckts.

Hey LineSource, I m interested to hear your opinion for Dome+WG vs CD+WG :) and btw, DFM-2544R00-08 has a steep slobe after 10K, what do you think of that ?

Your last sentence is the key! They said it was ready to ship, and this is part of the deal. They did not play according to that deal. You are allowed to cancel that order. In addition, I doubt their "cancellation policy" is "waterproof" (that's how we say in German, not sure about the English term).

Since you've payed via PayPal, you are protected by the PayPal rules. Just inform AE that you are cancelling the order because they did not ship the items you ordered, and which were ready to ship at the time of your order. Also mention that this situation has been discussed on diyAudio. Then ask for a refund via PayPal. If they are a reputable company, they will send the refund with no questions asked, because they did not follow the deal you had with them, and because they want the diyAudio community to know that AE are nice guys who don't steal the money of their customers without giving them what they payed for.

Edit: just as an example, I will return the DAS 12P woofers I got for the Monkey Coffin. The TSP were not as specified in the datasheet. I informed DAS about this and asked if they were able to provide new units with the correct parameters. They said the parameters are as they are and they "can't change it". They suggested to return the drivers and offered a full refund. They are honest guys who stand behind their business.

Thanks for the tip mbrennwa. yeah I doubt that their policy is bulletproof (i think that's the US slang for "waterproof policy"), and Paypal is usually on the customer side but that means it may take some time to get to a conclusion, at this point I would still be happy if i receive the drivers and that is why I m gonna wait a little longer but my patient has a limit, what bothers me the most is that we knew how AE lead time is, but John promise it's not gonna like that this time :(

I understand your concern, that is why we have two options ! the second version is using Faital woofers. going with AE drivers has been discussed many times, and i m not going through that again, and again,going with AE version, buying and prototyping it was my choice, it was my part to contribute to this project, if that kills the project I apologize,I can continue this on my own. I would be happy to see others contributing to this thread, anybody is welcome to pick this up with Faital Pro version ;).

Last edited:
I have been following along since the beginning and have no problem waiting for the AE woofers to come in. It is what I would most likely use. I would like to know how they perform. I would like to see the Beyma TPL-150H as the tweeter since that is what I would most likely use, but I understand after spending most of the budget on the woofers, spending another $800 on the Beymas is a no go.

I have been in contact with John at AE a couple of times. Once when I organized a smaller group buy. This one went quite smoothly with a 3 week delay in shipment. The delay was outside his control really, there were some strikes going at west coast harbours so the baskets he buys from overseas just got stuck there. The second one, some AE TD 12Ms + re-badged AMTs was less fortunate with several months of delay. I was OK with that as the AMTs didn’t pass his own quality control so he didn’t want to ship any that didn’t pass his high requirements. (The consignement he recieved from the Chinese manufacturer was not on par with the samples he had received previously. There was a lengthy email conversation about the quality, replacements and ... you name it. I got copies of the conversation on a continous basis so I know what went on. Lots of frustrations from him and me versus that company, real snakes and I guess in the end AE ended up with a money loss and the AMT consigment went into the dumpster.)

So, my personal experience is that AE / John is a very honest guy. He may be too optimistic about delivery times and can run into trouble if something goes wrong. But, you’ll get your drivers in the end. Whatever the reason is, the delay is unwelcomed of course. (As a small company I doubt AE gets top priority from part suppliers and balancing a stock of a huge number of parts is not an easy thing. Too large and prices have to be increased => less sales. Too small of a crucial component and one ends up with delivery problems and unhappy customers.)

Picture: Santa Claus arrived with a small group buy.

Attachments

• 17 Tomten har kommit.JPG
    17 Tomten har kommit.JPG
    493.6 KB · Views: 321
So, my personal experience is that AE / John is a very honest guy. He may be too optimistic about delivery times and can run into trouble if something goes wrong. But, you’ll get your drivers in the end.

That is good to hear -- but I still think it is not nice by AE to inform buyers that the items are ready to ship, and then keep the money without shipping the goods.

I'd like to see the non-AE Tower XL take shape. I believe this version would be much more attractive for potential builders in the future.

I have been in contact with John at AE a couple of times. Once when I organized a smaller group buy. This one went quite smoothly with a 3 week delay in shipment. The delay was outside his control really, there were some strikes going at west coast harbours so the baskets he buys from overseas just got stuck there. The second one, some AE TD 12Ms + re-badged AMTs was less fortunate with several months of delay. I was OK with that as the AMTs didn’t pass his own quality control so he didn’t want to ship any that didn’t pass his high requirements. (The consignement he recieved from the Chinese manufacturer was not on par with the samples he had received previously. There was a lengthy email conversation about the quality, replacements and ... you name it. I got copies of the conversation on a continous basis so I know what went on. Lots of frustrations from him and me versus that company, real snakes and I guess in the end AE ended up with a money loss and the AMT consigment went into the dumpster.)

So, my personal experience is that AE / John is a very honest guy. He may be too optimistic about delivery times and can run into trouble if something goes wrong. But, you’ll get your drivers in the end. Whatever the reason is, the delay is unwelcomed of course. (As a small company I doubt AE gets top priority from part suppliers and balancing a stock of a huge number of parts is not an easy thing. Too large and prices have to be increased => less sales. Too small of a crucial component and one ends up with delivery problems and unhappy customers.)

Picture: Santa Claus arrived with a small group buy.

That is good, no doubt about John and his work, although some of the AE policies does not make sense but I can understand, it is a small company and not much resources as bigger businesses.
but this delays will damage the project, I would not go with AE if I was following this.

Last edited:
I have been following along since the beginning and have no problem waiting for the AE woofers to come in. It is what I would most likely use. I would like to know how they perform. I would like to see the Beyma TPL-150H as the tweeter since that is what I would most likely use, but I understand after spending most of the budget on the woofers, spending another $800 on the Beymas is a no go.

good to see your feedback, lets hope we get the AE drivers in time first, and hopefully I may have the option to go w TPL150 in near future :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.